Skimmer for nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am in the process of getting some stuff together for either a 12g or 15g nano reef. I love my 120g but it is in my basement and i really want a little bit of the ocean in my room and a nano is the only option since my room is pretty small. I know just about everything that i am goin to get equipment wise except for a skimmer. I have seen a bunch of "nano" skimmers online, but i have no clue which one to buy. Any ideas or suggestions on a good one for that size tank. My only parameters for now are that it be affordable(under75$) and hang on since i won't be running a sump.

Well...IMHO you won't find one that is worth while at under $75. If I had to chose, I'd go with the AquaC Remora Nano... but it's quite a bit more expensive.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_protein_skimmers_aquac_nano_remora.asp?CartId=

You'll want to stay away from any of the air injection skimmers because they are....worthless. All in all, they are simply a big airstone in a hollow tube. They won't be really that efficient.

HTH

I agree it's going to be hard to get a decent HOB skimmer for under $75. Since most nano tanks are not very tall hob skimmers that fit nano tanks are highly inefficient regardless of the price.

Doing regular pwc 1-2 times a week should keep your levels in check without a skimmer and since the tank is so small it shouldn't be hard to keep up that schedule.

I have decided to go skimmerless and do about a 25-30% water change once a week. Hopefully it will be up and running by this weekend. I am going to be using water from my main tank and cured LR from the main tank also so there shouldnt be a cycle. I'm going to give it a week anyway before i start putting livestock in, but it should all come together fairly quickly.

Back
Top Bottom