Skimmer help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Codyheitmiller

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My skimmer is going like crazy!!!! Been two hours and I have to keep emptying it. Anyone know why? It's the aqua euro USA 150

Cody,..my guess would be that it's a water level situation ,.. I'm not familiar with that skimmer but my guess would be that if it's located in the sump / tank it may be sitting either up too high or too low causing the skimmers internal water level to be too high and causing it to overflow into the collection cup,....you really shouldn't have to empty that cup for a day or two

Last edited:
Did you accidentally adjust the water level, if you raised it then it would overflow.

Ok,..how about this? .... Skimmers need to suck in air somehow to mix internally with the water to cause the bubbles,...my skimmers usually had something like a rubber hose above the water of course to suck in that air,.... Is it possible that somehow that hose , tube or Whatever you have on your skimmer have somehow kinked or gotten clogged? If that was the case then you'd probably only be getting water and very little air causing it to overflow ?

Sorry Cody ,..but I'm stumped,..... Doesn't make much sense to me,...protein skimmers are by nature kinda touchy and moody at best,...it might be time to take it out and shoot it,...I'm sure someone here will come up with the answer,...good luck!!!!

I would take it out and clean the entire body and neck. Also take the pump apart and soak every piece in vinegar for a few hours. Put it back together and see if it still overflows. If it does, chances are something was added to your water (supplements, water conditioners or medications).

ccCapt said:
I would take it out and clean the entire body and neck. Also take the pump apart and soak every piece in vinegar for a few hours. Put it back together and see if it still overflows. If it does, chances are something was added to your water (supplements, water conditioners or medications).

Ah., good point on the meds., I know that on my buddies tank that we used "chemi clean" on., it was advised to turn off the skimmer because it'll cause it to go haywire

Last edited:
I used Chemi-pure. But it doesn't say any of that. Skimmer is clean, cleaned it a few weeks ago. Pump won't come apart. But I think it has slowed down on skimming

Codyheitmiller said:
I used Chemi-pure. But it doesn't say any of that. Skimmer is clean, cleaned it a few weeks ago. Pump won't come apart. But I think it has slowed down on skimming

That's chemi clean,...not chemi pure......when I originally posted that reply I accidentally typed in chemi pure but went back and edited it to chemi clean ( used for cyno bacteria outbreak)

Cody,..if you used " chemi clean" for a " cyno" outbreak WITHOUT turning off you skimmer then that's what has probably caused your skimmer to overflow and act squirrely...." chemipure" won't cause any skimmer issues

Codyheitmiller said:
No I'm using Chemi-pure, for that, and phosphates
.."......I don't know if chemipure will help on the cyno but chemipure elite which contains some ferric oxide will help with the phosphates,....I don't have any more suggestions on the skimmer issue,...maybe someone like mr x or another member who has more hands on time can help you out,....sorry Cody

Back
Top Bottom