Skimmer help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sgc1107

Aquarium Advice Freak
First let me say I'm still new (4mo in) to this hobby, please keep this in mind when responding to me :)

I'm going to start a custom 150gl build this summer and I'm thinking I want to do a 55gl sump. I think a good place to start is to decide what skimmer to get to know what I need for water depth before I figure chamber sizes in the sump. Am I thinking the right way?

What skimmers should I be looking at for the amount of water I'll have? I want to do it right the first time but my knowledge on skimmers isn't very great, and there's so many out there! Just looking for some that I can start doing research on.

Oh, It will be a reef tank :)

Making your partitions 10" tall will accommodate most skimmers. A standard 55 is barely 12" wide on the inside. You are going to have to look for space saving skimmers. I would suggest a 40 breeder for a sump. a much better footprint.

Making your partitions 10" tall will accommodate most skimmers. A standard 55 is barely 12" wide on the inside. You are going to have to look for space saving skimmers. I would suggest a 40 breeder for a sump. a much better footprint.

Will this still give me enough flow to suntan a 150gl? I've always heard bigger is better when it comes to sumps.

Any brands you suggest for skimmers? What brands to avoid?

The size of the sump doesn't make your flow rate go down. You want about 5-10x your tank size through your sump per hour.

Yep. Octopus, SWC, MSX, JNS, Bubble Magus, Vertex, and Seaside Aquatics are all decent skimmers. Just take the manufacturers' recommended tank sizes with a grain of salt. They seem to exaggerate their abilities. A good rule of thumb is to choose a skimmer that's rated for a tank 1.5 to 2 times larger than yours.

Yep. Octopus, SWC, MSX, JNS, Bubble Magus, Vertex, and Seaside Aquatics are all decent skimmers. Just take the manufacturers' recommended tank sizes with a grain of salt. They seem to exaggerate their abilities. A good rule of thumb is to choose a skimmer that's rated for a tank 1.5 to 2 times larger than yours.

So if I'm looking at the reef octopus what model should I go with?

Just look up the skimmer and read the dimensions.

I did but is it giving me the Dimensions it needs or it's actual size? On BRS they don't say, just says Dimensions 16x11x28 so I'm guessing this is the size of the space I need? I hope it's not 28" tall if so I gotta recalculate some stuff!

If it says dimension on the page for the skimmer it would make sense it's the dimensions OF the skimmer. It's huge. That could be right.!

I'm not positive but its a big skimmer. It's on the right. This is a 55 gallon sump.

Attachments

• image-3519367810.jpg
    image-3519367810.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 55
Do you think the DNW150 would work in a 150gl, i will be using a filter sock as well, so that will help cut down the skimmer's work. It's a 4" difference!

Back
Top Bottom