Skimmer Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ratrik13

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm still pretty new to dealing with protein skimmer, but i was looking at the CPR Bak-pak models and had a few questions for anyone out there who has one.

My main question is does anyone have any experience with using other materials in the secondary part of the skimmer besides their creepy looking shredded blue stuff? I ask because i'm thinking about either swapping it out with a little bit of live rock rubble or tossing a baggy of carbon or phosphate absorber in there (what ever the case may call for). Would this work or would it cut down on the water flow so much that the unit would overflow? Thanks

I would not use any carbon in the skimmer or the shredded media.... They sell the Bak-Pak 2R+ for reef tanks only if that is what your doing, but you can still use it as a FOWLR works the same.... I would not even put LR IMO... Just let it do it's job for you... There is a 2week brake in period for the skimmer to actually work in it's full status. What size is your Tank? The reef model is only up to 60Gallon if you have a Larger tank I would suggest going with the Dual instead.... :)

Last edited:
I'm setting up a 65 (36Lx18Wx24H) FOWLR though i think i'll slowly work my way into soft corals at some point. I'm planning to go with the dual, but I was just trying to come up with something useful to do with the extra space since a sump is pretty much out of the question. Thanks for the input btw.

I'm setting up a 65 (36Lx18Wx24H) FOWLR though i think i'll slowly work my way into soft corals at some point. I'm planning to go with the dual, but I was just trying to come up with something useful to do with the extra space since a sump is pretty much out of the question. Thanks for the input btw.

Yeah I do not have a Sump so I have to deal with what I have.... The Duals would work out great form you.... You can also look at the Octopus Skimmers Those are also an awesome HOB skimmer as well....

Back
Top Bottom