skimmer not collecting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey, i have a CPR BakPak 2 skimmer http://www.windowtothesea.com/display.php?cat=21&subcat=120(i dont have that blue stringy stuff in there)its for a 60 gallon and i have a 30 gallon. I havnt emptyd the skimmer box for who knows how long. I checked it yesterday and practicly nothing was in it. Is there something wrong with it? Everything in my tank is normal.

40 pounds live rock
2 fish
anemone
coral
snails

You have 2 fish in a 60G. Unless they are some very adult tangs, grouper or the like then your not going to see a lot of skimmate. You can adjust it way down if you like to 'force' it to skim, however the skimmate should look like a green tea color. If its just water, your throwing out perfectly good tank water. HTH. BTW IMO keeping a low bioload is the way to go. I have a 29G with a couple shrimp, snail and 2 perc clowns. Its a reef tank with lr, etc and I run no skimmer on it. Matter of fact the only reason I have to change the water is becuase of depletion of trace minerals. Most people jack their tanks up with a huge fish load and then wonder why they have to jump through so many hoops to keep the tank free of algae. Anyway, until your fish load increases, you can safely remove the skimmer. 2 fish in a 60g is a very light load. (Less they are 24" sharks or something!)

Peace.

lol

lol, i meant the the skimmer is ment for a 60 gallon, but i have it hooked up for my 30 gallon, in case i wanna go to a 60 gallon

I have the same skimmer. I adjust the air intake so that the bubble stream just about hits the bottom of the skimmer. My collection cup is about 1/4 inch below the top of the bubbles in the reaction chamber. I pull out about 1/2 cup of dark green skimmate once a week.

Hope this helps
Phil

Back
Top Bottom