Skimmer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I ordered it offline I don't even know if I can return it. What are good skimmer brands

What size is your system, do you have a sump, what are you keeping now, what do you plan on keeping, how much live rock?
What is your budget?

It's a 75 gallon with 2 emporer 400 about 50 pounds live rock no fish yet its still cycling but it going to be just one lionfish

Sounds like you dont have a sump. I would suggest:
Bubble Magus NAC 5e, or Aqua C Remora or Reef Octopus BH2000. There are plenty of good choices out there on the used market as well. Honestly the best bang for your buck would probably the Bubble Magus.

Since there is no bio load in your tank, there isnt any fish-made waste for the skimmer to remove. Without waste in the tank, there is nothing to foam up. Its like putting bubble bath in a tub, the spraying water might make some small bubbles, but it wont foam until the soap is added.

OK, so we know you have nice clean water and no waste, but do a quick google on SeaClone skimmers. You will likely not find one positive post about them. They are so awesomely bad that they should be withdrawn from market. If you can either return it or sell it, you will be much happier in the long run, and your tank will be healthier. SeaClones just dont work.

Bacteria is not what the skimmer is removing, its removing dissolved fish poop. The bacteria will colonize the rock and sand, and will do their best to eat whatever waste they can, but it's the skimmer's job to remove the actual fish waste. That of course requires there to be waste to remove.

How did you start your cycle, did you use live rock, did you add pure ammonia, did you put a piece of fish meat into the tank?

This is the quickest most efficient mod that I did and it helped alot You will need a wooden air diffuser a air pump some tubing and a adjustable air valve for the tubing All you have to do is drill a hole in the middle of the collection cup lid run your air tube in and drop the diffusser in as low as you can get it in the skimmer and hook it to the air pump with the valve Be prpared to use the valve to adjust your bubble accordingly

Most lfs stores will have them form my experience you need like a 2 inch one because it will go farther into the skimmer although I have a 3 inch one and it still works

Modifications are always fun in this hobby, but keep in mind that if you add the diffuser, you're essentially creating a DIY skimmer and just using the SeaClone for its acrylic tube. Before drilling it, you might want to see if it can be returned. For the extra few dollars the diffuser will cost you, you could just get a better skimmer. Remember that the wooden diffusers will need to be periodically replaced.

Got ya well I'll just wait till my tank is cycled and my fish had been in for a week and if it starts working great if not I'll fix it or get a new one. Thanks everyone

Just watched a video on you tube of the same skimmer I got. It was pumping alot of skim. The only difference is that the guy took the sponge off the power head. Is it ok to do that?

SeaClone 150 Protein Skimmer

SeaClone skimmers are notoriously bad. They dont skim well when properly adjusted and difficult to 'dial in' When I first started out I assumed skimmers are all the same. So I bought a SeaClone because that's what the lfs sold. I couldn't get it to skim, and I bought a second one, figuring the first was broken. I ended up returning them after a few weeks and bought a better unit- for around the same price.

If you purchased the skimmer new, you might consider returning it, since you might never get it to make foam.

I also just purchased the Sea Clone 150 last week, the parts are laying on the end table lol. I procrastinated putting it together as I've been brain dead lately. Now I guess I should go ahead put it all back in the box and return it. I got it either at Petsmart or Petco. Gotta find the receipt. When would I need to purchase a skimmer?

Well after you get fish in the tank it will work. My sea clone seems to be working pretty good so far

Back
Top Bottom