Skimmer rating questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so Im looking at a few protein skimmers for a 150 gallon tank.

The Aqua-C EV180 says its rated for 60-200 gallons? Thats kind of a wide range. I take it 180 is its realistic capacity?

Assuming the skimmer is rated for 180, would it be wiser to pay a little more and get a skimmer rated higher? Or would that just basically be wasted power.

Also... is it a good idea to buy used protein skimmers? Is the value of a used protein skimmer going to be equal to or less than the value of the remaining life of the skimmer? (I worry that even though a used skimmer is cheaper, the reality is that its lifespan is already shortened, possibly greatly)

I can say that I have a skimmer that is WAY more then I need on my system but I like having it there....also it allows me the option of adding additional tanks to my system without having to upgrade equipment. If it were me and I was worried about the EV180 I would go up a step just to be safe. I bought a used skimmer, but I replaced the pump and o-rings so it is pretty much a new skimmer....the body was the part I was interested in....HTH

Agnate80700 said:
Assuming the skimmer is rated for 180, would it be wiser to pay a little more and get a skimmer rated higher? Or would that just basically be wasted power.

How is it preforming already. If it`s doing a good job then let it be. If it aint broke then dont fix it.

I agree w/ Ziggy. 180 is at the high end of what that skimmer is rated for, I would go up a size. I would be more comfortable being somewhere closer to the mid range of the skimmers capacity. If you plan on keeping delicate corals, ie SPS, etc. then you will be much better off w/ a skimmer that is a little big, rather than small. As far as used skimmers go, the only thing that would really wear on a skimmer is the pump. Most pumps, if maintained properly, last a long time. Replacement parts are usually readily available and cheap.There are usually some good buys out there if you look. HTH

I dont have the skimmer yet melosu.

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/livestock/product_info.php?id=98&man_id=

I have seen mentioned in other posts regarding skimmers that ASM G-series skimmers were well worth the money, and the link above shows a price that looks good to me. Im looking at the G-2. Looks like for about $275 I get the 200 gallon rated version and an included Sedra 3500 pump. Now correct me if I'm wrong but, from what Ive seen, thats about $100 less than Aqua-C and like $200 less than Euroreef equally rated skimmers.

Just from the same site, http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/livestock/product_info.php?id=760 the EV-180 is $330 and they recommend (which I assume means not included) a couple pumps, which is probably another $80. Is there anything that makes an Aqua-C that much better?

I love my 180. Got it on a 155 reef tank. Did the version with the John Guest spped fitting in case I ever do a calcium reactor.

I recommend it highly.

Back
Top Bottom