Skimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

milhous3er

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible to over skim ?? What i'm looking at is a Reef Octopus skimmer that can handle 135 gallons. My tank is only 40g. I'm sure it won't hurt anything.

I'm looking to replace my CPR Bak Pak 2 with a Reef Octopus BH-300F or maybe the BH-1000

Nope. You can't over skim, but it can get to a point where the skimmer isn't very efficient because there isn't much for it to take out of the water (which is never a bad thing).

Nope. You can't over skim, but it can get to a point where the skimmer isn't very efficient because there isn't much for it to take out of the water (which is never a bad thing).

I agree with this.
I have a 180-gallon tank and my skimmer is rated for
400gallons(heavy bio-load) to 700gallons(light bio-load), which means I can typically get away with over feeding which helps keep my fish fat and coral happy.

I've had the octo bh 2000 hob on my 46 gallon bowfront going on two weeks and its been pulling nasty stuff from the get go. Its rated for a 125 gallon system. This thing is a beast!!!! But it does a [moderator edit] of a job and its still breaking in. My goal was to get something big enough incase i went over on my bioload. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom