Slim filter options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

griffinej5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm wondering about what potential filters I might fit into a narrow space (or maybe there is a different hood I could be using.
My current setup is
20 gallon tank, running a marineland biowheel rated for 20 gallons, and marina s20 filter. I have the biowheel hanging on the side of the tank, and the marina s20 is sitting on the back, where the cutout for the filter is on the hood. The current set up is okay, the filters run fine and keep everything clean, but it causes the hood not to sit right on the tank, and I dump the light in sometimes (it's LED, so not a horrible hazardous situation). I don't think because of the size of the hood cutout that I can fit another s20 back there, but I could get one and try it I suppose. I might be able to fit a lower rated one in the space, but I would worry about inadequate filtration (I have 2 small goldfish in the tank). Is there anything else out there that is decent and slim, or that might work in a narrow place?

Hmm... interesting option. There's no problem with the S20, so I'd rather leave well enough alone with that one. So, would my option be then maybe to replace the bio wheel with a duetto, and add a sponge filter. The sponge would just hook up to my air pump, right?

I'm about to order the new filters. When I put the Duetto, should I seed the media for it in the filter that's coming off (the biowheel) before I put it in place? Running side by side with the others would be really tough, as I don't know if I have an open plug, and I'm already running an 2 extension cords off a 6 outlet surge protector in the room. I can't take that media and put it in the Duetto, since It's just the cartridge that originally came in it. I could pull some media from the s20 (I filled that one with some sponge media and some other things that look like stars) but I don't think that's going to make any sense (just distributing the bacteria between the two). I can't just take that biowheel off, right?

How do I switch the filter? Do I just take the one I want to get rid of off and slap the new one on, seed the new media in the filter that I am taking off (how long would I do that?) and then put the new one on once that is done? Taking media from the older filter and putting in the new one is not possible, I would have to see new stuff (the only thing in it is the cartridge that just fits in it) and I also have media in the Marina s20 that could be moved to another filter (but I am not getting rid of that filter).

Back
Top Bottom