Small Chip in Glass - 220 Gallon - OK or NO Way???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SummitSeeker

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello All,

I am about to sell my 220 Gallon AllGlass Aquarium and just noticed there is a small Chip on one of the corners. (I hate to have to sell it but have 4 kiddos and need the space)

I wanted to ask your opinions on the integrity of the tank with this chip because I don't want to sell someone a disaster waiting to happen.

I have some pics for your review...

Thank you so much for any insight on the seriousness of the chip and if possible is there a repair I can maybe do to fix it...

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing your replies...!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 23
It would all depend on whether it's leaking or not. Truth be told, when you move large aquariums, it's not unusual to have the silicone stretch to match the new pressures the tank is experiencing on the new stand ( even if it's the same stand it was already on, it would have to be placed exactly the same as it was) so since the chip appears to go to the edge of the glass, this could be a major problem for the buyer. If this was a small tank, I wouldn't worry as much but with large tanks, it's not something you should hide imo.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
How thick is the glass?
How deep is the chip?

Can you post a picture showing the whole tank and where the chip is?
If looks like it's towards the bottom half on the outside corner but a pic of the entire tank will give us more to go on.

You can't repair it. The only way to get rid of it is to replace that panel of glass, and that is not worth doing.

From the images posted, I would say it's not an issue at all. It appears to be a small chip maybe 1-2mm deep, and the glass looks like it is 10mm thick. The chip is on an outside corner and I don't think it will cause any problems.

When selling a secondhand aquarium, it helps to have the tank full of water when people are viewing it. That way they can see it doesn't leak and actually holds water. If people see it holding water with the small chip, they will be less concerned.

I would also make a point of showing the chip to people that might be interested in buying it just so they can see it and don't think you are trying to hide anything.

Back
Top Bottom