Sodium Thiosulfate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berylla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Seachem safe is an amazing product for all fish-keepers but it's not available everywhere, esp. outside the US.

Sodium thiosulfate is the active ingredient in Seachem safe and can be purchase CHEAPLY anywhere. For example, in the UK, you can get 1 kg for under 10 lb.

Sodium Thiosulphate - 1kg: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Here in the US, you can buy it cheaply at Kensfish. The directions to mix are here too:

Sodium Thiosulfate

The big difference is the removal of ammonia which SAFE does and Sodium Thiosulfate does not. It's necessary if your water has chloramines and not chlorine. Sodium thisulfate changes chloramines into chlorine (which is neutralizes) and AMMONIA. So if your tap water has chloramines (need to call your water company for this info), you also need to use a little bit of ammonia remover, such as Interpret, or API's ammo lock.

In the states, you can also buy a huge bucket of dechlorinator that is equivalent to Seachem for cheap:

Cloram-X

It removes chlorine and ammonia just like Seachem but a whole lot cheaper.

You are very welcome, Ian! Look what I found:

1kg Sodium thiosulphate -aquarium dechlorinator!top quality: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

It's even CHEAPER, and I think it's from Ireland?? I looked up Amazon Ireland. Let me know if I was right.

This is the ammonia remover, Interpret, and there's free shipping in UK!!

Interpet Ammonia Remover, 250ml: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
Hey Berylla, that sodium from Amazon, they won't deliver to Ireland. I can get it over here for a decent price anyway(link below). The Interpret, i can get. I got an email from an Irish pet store, who think they might be able to get that Safe for me. If i can get the 1ltr for 40euro($50), i'll be pretty happy. I don't mind using the Safe or Prime for my tanks, i do about 30g wc a week. It's when i recharge my Purigen, that's what drinks my Prime. Do you use Purigen???
(There is NO Amazon Ireland, we have to use the UK version. There is shipping restrictions on any chemicals, although Sodium Thiosulphate is classed as a safe chemical)

Buy Sodium Thiosulphate in Ireland | Mistral Lab Supplies#

Hey Berylla, that sodium from Amazon, they won't deliver to Ireland. I can get it over here for a decent price anyway(link below). The Interpret, i can get. I got an email from an Irish pet store, who think they might be able to get that Safe for me. If i can get the 1ltr for 40euro($50), i'll be pretty happy. I don't mind using the Safe or Prime for my tanks, i do about 30g wc a week. It's when i recharge my Purigen, that's what drinks my Prime. Do you use Purigen???
(There is NO Amazon Ireland, we have to use the UK version. There is shipping restrictions on any chemicals, although Sodium Thiosulphate is classed as a safe chemical)

Buy Sodium Thiosulphate in Ireland | Mistral Lab Supplies#

I'm glad you found a source for ST! It should be super cheap! I bought some Purigen 2 years ago, thinking that it could reduce my water changes, but it didn't have any affect on my tanks. Oh well. I still have half a container left sitting on my shelf. I don't even use carbon in my tanks. Just a bag of pond peat (for fish ponds) to soften my water and reduce PH.

Back
Top Bottom