Some advice on a Chip in my 75gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghpr13

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75gal aquarium that I got with a Fluval 404 filter, a Penguin 350B filter, a 200w heater, a full 2 bulb light bar, two glass tops, and another small HOB filter. It came with a wooden stand with a door and storage space. All for $250.00.

Well, as I was cleaning it I notice a chip in the bottom corner. The chip does not go all the way to the silicone sealer. I've attached a couple of pictures of it. I did a lot of searching on the Internet and most of the info I read seem to say that if it's a chip in the corner, not a crack, and doesn't go as deep as the sealant, it should be find. Many said they had chips like this and never suffered a leak. Most of them said they just clean the chipped area with acetone and filled it with aquarium safe sealant. A few said they added a corner "frame" piece to top from the bottom of the edge the chip was on.

All in all, has anyone out there had a similar problem? Any advice?

Thanks,
Ghpr13:)

Hey! 30 people view this post and no one has any advice on this? Come on group...This forum is suppose to help people with questions & problems...Any one? Any one? Bueller? Bueller? Any one?
Ghpr13:confused:

Put some pictures up of the chip from every angle and some one will give you a educated answer. Without pics no one can tell you the best possible route to fix the chip.

Put some pictures up of the chip from every angle and some one will give you a educated answer. Without pics no one can tell you the best possible route to fix the chip.

Mark388,
Sorry...I thought I had attached the photos. Will do so now.
Thanks,
Ghpr13(y)

Attachments

• 100_0740 (640x480).jpg
    100_0740 (640x480).jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_0741 (640x480).jpg
    100_0741 (640x480).jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 105
This forum is the worst...I'll stick with Aquarium Forum.com. There at least people are helpful.
Out of here!
Ghpr13:mad:

I suggest putting silicone over it
Please don't expect insta-answers

You already know the answer to the question. Don't be a grumpy gills. I'd suggest filling the tank outside to make sure it holds. Other than that it appears to be cosmetic. Put the chip in the back and leave it.

I suggest putting silicone over it
Please don't expect insta-answers
My question was posted on May 30, with pictures added on May 31. It's June 4th...I don't think I'm expecting "Insta-Answers" 5 days later after something like 40 people view my post.
Ghpr13:nono:

It wouldn't matter if 200 people viewed the post, if none of them had an opinion to express or offer something of consequence. The pictures aren't good enough for me to offer an opinion. I would like to see the view from the back to see how far in the chip extends.

You already know the answer to the question. Don't be a grumpy gills. I'd suggest filling the tank outside to make sure it holds. Other than that it appears to be cosmetic. Put the chip in the back and leave it.

somethingsfishy,
Sorry...I always thought if you have a problem you should try to gather as much information on a solution to that problem as you can. Going to Aquarium forums/Blogs is a way to get as much info and advice on a problem with an aquarium. I like to hear from people who have more experience or knowledge than I might have. But it seems that the members of this forum are not geared into giving advice or helping others. So be it.
I thank those who at least offer a reply and I will go else where when I have another question or problem. Many, many other aquarium forums on the net.

Ghpr13:banghead:

Ghpr13 said:
somethingsfishy,
Sorry...I always thought if you have a problem you should try to gather as much information on a solution to that problem as you can. Going to Aquarium forums/Blogs is a way to get as much info and advice on a problem with an aquarium. I like to hear from people who have more experience or knowledge than I might have. But it seems that the members of this forum are not geared into giving advice or helping others. So be it.
I thank those who at least offer a reply and I will go else where when I have another question or problem. Many, many other aquarium forums on the net.

Ghpr13:banghead:

We are plenty ready to give advice but we dont
know everything
Perhaps the people viewing didn't know how to go about helping without pics or better pics

Your absolutely right about gathering information. How many sites did you visit? How many forums said exactly what you initially posted? No one spoke because the question had been answered. In your haste, you neglected to allow others with the same situation to respond. I have a 40 tall with a chip on the outside just like yours and a 55 with a chip on the inside. For the 55 I resealed the entire tank adding to the chipped spot to ensure that it would not leak and then water tested it. For the 40 just like yours I did... Nothing. Just like I told you. The other sites probably did the same thing and left it as a cosmetic blemish. Again that's what I told you. If you want advice, allow others to give it. I hope this has fully answered your question and I look forward to any more questions you may have in the future.

P.S so many people looked probably because they have the same problem and may want a solution.

Back
Top Bottom