Some equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zer0

is back to save the day!
Ok well i just have 2 or 3 questions about some of the equipment i was looking at buying for my SW tank.

1. Well its my 55Gallon tank and i was thinking.. would buying 2 Koralia #1's good? The tank is starting off as FOWLR, then when everything is stable and i get the correct lighting its going to be Fish, LR, and reef.

2. As for the protein skimmer, can someone check to see if this is a good buy?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PROTEIN-SKIMMER-w-300GPH-GAL-PUMP-AQUARIUM-TANKS_W0QQitemZ250449925854QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4ffa96de&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|293%3A1|294%3A50

That looks like a piece of junk. You're better off getting an octopus HOB skimmer or a CPR HOB skimmer. Try and aim for 20x-30x turnover per hour. Two koralia 2's should work.

Buy the equipment for what you want not what you have. If you want a reef with SPS corals I would suggest k3's. or a k3 and a k2. over skim your tank. If you decide you want a 75 90 or 120 in the future spend a little extra now instead of having to buy all new equipment.

It sound like you bought the same aquarium "kit" I did. You will see that that 55 (13 inches wide) will fill up quickly with LR.

as for the power heads i am not to sure but that first skimmer is a def no!!! it looks like the sea clone which was a piece of crap no one likes it as for the second skimmer i have heard good things about it i want to try it in the future my local petland sells that one

Yeah i think we have the same one then because mines 13" wide as well lol. But i just bought two k2's so i dont think it really makes a difference. Somewhere down the road i will most likely WANT to buy new equipment lol. I think the k2's are good for now with a 55gallon.

Really? the super skimmer is garbage? I thought it would be pretty good since it was on that sock list of SW equipment lol.

What about a CPR cyclone bak-pak II ??? Would that be a better choice than the Coralife Super Skimmer?

Yeah i think we have the same one then because mines 13" wide as well lol. But i just bought two k2's so i dont think it really makes a difference. Somewhere down the road i will most likely WANT to buy new equipment lol. I think the k2's are good for now with a 55gallon.

I ment because the HOB filter and the tank....2 k2's shoud be good. I must be careful where I point my k3's or I end up with glass exposed on the bottom. my mushrooms HATE the k3's....too much flow. it took me forever before i found them a good low flow spot.

Well i can see how that happens. The k3's have like what.. 1200gph? And if you have two of them.. then thats alot lol. Both of the k2's would have around 1200gph.. which would be good since they're not all going in one direction lol. But regardless, im glad you found the right spot :)

950 each....you know you have too much flow when there is a whirlpool in the middle of your tank....yes it happened.lol better when i pointed them up. It took some effort to get them to work in my 55 but they will be PERFECT for the 90 i want.

wow you had a freakin whirlpool in there? Thats kind of cool and kind of scary at the same time lol.

A CPR BakPak will work quite nicely. Koralia 3's have 850gph I think. My 20g has 2 koralia 1's and a maxijet 1200 powering my skimmer. Total of about 1100gph, in other words, I have 55x turnover per hour in my tank.

as for the power heads i am not to sure but that first skimmer is a def no!!! it looks like the sea clone which was a piece of crap no one likes it as for the second skimmer i have heard good things about it i want to try it in the future my local petland sells that one

I have a seaclone.....It's not all bad, it just takes forever to adjust it. Still I agree the seaclone is junk. I just didn't feel like taking it back.

Do you think it wise to buy a used protein skimmer? Theres a nice CPR bak-pak for 50$ thats Used-Like New.. and im trying to save A BIT of money lol. If not it doesnt matter, theres a new one for 50$ more, but still. Is used ok or i shouldnt do it?

Alright well, i just bought the CPR Bak-Pak skimmer and 2 koralia 2's. Im syked. I think the next big thing im going to buy is the ro/di unit. But im not entirely sure yet. Gotta think about it.

Back
Top Bottom