Sound proofing a cabinet with a canister filter in it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasonwilks

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all, I was wondering if any of you have any experience with sound proofing a canister filter. I currently have my canister filter in a cabinet under my 180 gallon fish tank. I have already hanged carpet inside the walls in the cabinet, but that only helped just a little bit. It seems that most of the sound the canister is producing is low frequency sound. I think I am going to build some kind of structure around the canister filter to block the low freq. sound coming from it. Anybody have any suggestions on material I should use? Or any other tips?

What kind of canister is it? Mine dont make a peep :) You might try sitting it on some foam or something to see if its vibrations against the floor or bottom of stand.

I would agree with rookie. Try to see if its a vibration. Check to see if you pick it up or move it around if anything changes. If not (depending on what filter it is) check for debris in and around propeller. If all is clear and nothing changes with movement then check what it is on. Is it resignating the sound? Then if still loud, then build you a box around it and fill it with acoustic foam (egg crate like for bed). But in general, I have several canister filters and they make almost no sound.

if its not vibration, try your local car stereo installer shop and see if they have any offcuts of dynamat. its what they use to soundproof cars and works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom