Sponge Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thranta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have shown sponge filters in both my 55L and 60L tanks. They are fantastic and my water is always crystal clear and tests pristine.

They do seem to miss small bits of debris that settle into the gravel substrate. I have tried vacuuming the up, but they are just too small to get with a hand pumped vacuum.

Should I invest in a better vacuum or can I get/make a sponge with finer holes for my filter?

Thanks!

Sponge filters, no matter how big, are not very powerful when it comes to actually removing debris from your tank. A sponge filters primary purpose is biological filtration, and they are pretty good at that. Sponge filters are slow and gentle, which is why most people use them in hospital, fry, and even shrimp tanks.

So even if you did get a sponge with finer holes it still might not be able to pick all that stuff up simply due to that lack of suction power.

I would just go with a regular gravity type of vacuum. Just some simple tubing

I have shown sponge filters in both my 55L and 60L tanks. They are fantastic and my water is always crystal clear and tests pristine.

They do seem to miss small bits of debris that settle into the gravel substrate. I have tried vacuuming the up, but they are just too small to get with a hand pumped vacuum.

Should I invest in a better vacuum or can I get/make a sponge with finer holes for my filter?

Thanks!

Do you run your sponge filter with an air pump or power head?

The sponge filter pulls air in from overhead on its own, but I also run an airpump that distributes air through a six inch airstone.

Back
Top Bottom