Sponge filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ant329

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im curious to see the responses i get regarding sponge filters.. I actually bought 2 for the price that they are, but different name brands due to them only having one of each left in stock.. One is deep blue professional system 30, and other is hydro sponge III.., with the hydro being more expensive.. Imho i think the blue sponge on the deep blue sponge is a little tougher.. But the hydro has a better base and tighter piece fit. Any advice? Also looking for a way to create more suction, longer 1 inch tube?? 1/2 inch tube?Shorter tube? No tube?? Bigger air stone?? I hear that the lower the airstone in the tank creates more suction so i added a piece of tubing to drop the stone lower in the basket.. Any ideas or advice is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance!!

Stronger air flow will increase water flow (I assume that is what you meand by 'suction'). I have seen the Deep Blue ones, haven't realyl looked into them because of the hideous bright blue sponge. I use Azoo's sponge filters because of the multiple sizes and shapes (including suction cupping to the back wall). They are great filters if used in the right tank.

Hi, I actually got sponge pre filters for my Aqua Clears from this website. I think they are awesome. Made of the same sponge material as yours but slip on the intake tube.

http://americanaquariumproducts.com/PreFilter.html

There is plenty of info about the air driven ones.

They should serve you well. Hope this helps. I just didn't want to retype what they have already done well.

Thankyou for the responses!! Im looking to make my sponge filter suck more like as a vacuum suction.. Like i wanna see debri thats flying around go to the sponge.. Any ideas?? Also almost every DIY youtube video on making sponge filters, their chimney( 1 inch tubing) has holes but the ones you buy in stores dont have the holes in the chimney.. Whats the difference??

I use both the hydrosponge type and the basic square ones, both premade and DIY. As mentioned above, the air flow will determine a lot about the speed that it sucks stuff up. Also I think it's better to use large bubbles rather than many small ones, but I don't know if it makes a huge difference.

Sponge filters aren't meant to just suck all the dirt in immediately like a HOB or canister does, they are slow and tend to only pick up the floating stuff. They are still great cheap form of filtration though, especially biofiltration. I have in between 3 to 4 dozen of them running currently.

Could you send me a picture of your homemade one?

I did a writeup on it a while back somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

It's pretty simple, just a 4 or 5 inch piece of 1/2" pvc and a piece of aquaclear sponge filter insert cut into a square (the ac110 filters are perfect for this.

You can drill holes in the end of the PVC if you want, but you don't necessarily have to.

I cut a small hole in the filter sponge so that I can slide the PVC tube down into the center of it. I also use a drill and put an angled hole near the top of the PVC tube to slide the airline into. If you drill it at an angle it helps keep the piece of airline in place without having to secure it.

As far as weighting them goes, siliconing a piece of slate works, but i have noticed if you squeeze all of the air out of the sponge it will eventually sink on its own.

I noticed that some people drill holes in their 1 inch tube(chimney) but stock ones dont have any holes? Whats the difference with the holes? Does it change anything?

Some filters have the holes, some dont. If you are talking about the ones that are on the bottom covered by the sponge, I would think that with the holes in it, it'd allow water to be sucked in through them also, rather than just through the bottom. So it could definitely help, but I don't know just how much.

It is actually gravity that causes water to move through the sponges. The air that is in the column from the filter causes the water in the column to be less dense, so the denser water outside the filter moves into the sponge.
So, the greater the distance the air inlet is from the top of the tube, the greater the suction. More air in the tube means more density difference so more suction. Smaller bubbles rise more slowly than large so have more effect on the column density. With smaller bubbles, as from an airstone you can have more air in the tube at one time without displacing all the water.Too much air will actually be counter productive and slow the water entry to the sponge.
To maximize water flow through the sponge have the air inlet as low in the filter as possible, have the lift tube as long as possible, and use fine bubbles. It is possible to have the water shoot several inches beyond the top of the lift tube.

Right now im using hyrdo111 sponge filter.. I added a longer 1 inch tube about 2-3 inches longer.., and i used an extra air line from the nipple on top to the bottom of the strainer, so the air line tube is at the bottom of the sponge in the inside.. Im currently not using an air stone, but wondering how this setup will work??

It is not that the water becomes less dense, this doesn't happen. What creates flow is the physical movement of the bubbles moving through the water (just like moving your hand through water creates a strong current). Larger bubbles move more water and create more flow. Smaller bubbles have a smaller impact.

It is not that the water becomes less dense, this doesn't happen. What creates flow is the physical movement of the bubbles moving through the water (just like moving your hand through water creates a strong current). Larger bubbles move more water and create more flow. Smaller bubbles have a smaller impact.

The column in the filter is a mixture of water and air, making it less dense than the water outside the filter.. You are also wrong about the bubbles.

After having the sponge filter in my tank for about a week now i notice my tank is cloudy.. I did test my water with the nitrite being a little on the high side.. Is this common for the early stages of a sponge filter??

If your tank wasn't cycled before placing the sponge than cloudiness isn't really an issue. THe Nitirties are showing that the good bacteria are starting to form..you should see a rise in Nitrates eventually and Nitrites, and Ammonia, will decrease.

If I am not mistaken you were the one that asked me about that Hydro :).

I use them to catch the finer particles of "stuff" that might be floating about, attaching the lift tube to a powerhead. The powerhead will give you that suction and has the added advantage of increasing your water circulation as well.

tlkng1 said:
If your tank wasn't cycled before placing the sponge than cloudiness isn't really an issue. THe Nitirties are showing that the good bacteria are starting to form..you should see a rise in Nitrates eventually and Nitrites, and Ammonia, will decrease.

If I am not mistaken you were the one that asked me about that Hydro :).

I use them to catch the finer particles of "stuff" that might be floating about, attaching the lift tube to a powerhead. The powerhead will give you that suction and has the added advantage of increasing your water circulation as well.

Thankyou for the response!! My tank has been set up for about 3 weeks.. I dont have a powerhead but im using air pump.. I extended the air line to the lower part of the sponge filter itself(inside) and added a longer tube and water is basically shooting up the chamber with medium bubbles.. Its strong so its popping like an inch out of water.. Not sure if its the right move but im sure catching more on my sponge..

Back
Top Bottom