Stand Stability Concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How much movement of the water is acceptable before I should be concerned? I'm on the second story of a stick-built with carpeted flooring. I'm not concerned with anything damaging the floor, but more that the movement of the tank when people walk by will result in some catastrophy sooner or later.
I figure the water level changes about .25" or less.

Wow! what DeFeKt said. This has to cause stress on the tank that it was never designed for. While tanks are fairly strong they are never meant to be exposed to that type of linear stress.

It's down. 1/4" was a "worst-case" estimate, like when someone ran by. It was more like 1/16-1/8" when walked by. Made me very nervous... It was a 30 gallon on one of those wrought iron stands. I think the movement was largely due to the severe lack of lateral support from the stand. The 55 in the living room (same scenario, different room) doesn't move at all and it's on a diy wood stand. The tank had to come down anyway, but when it goes back up it will for sure be on wood! Thanx for the replies.

DeFeKt said:
Glad you got it sorted..

To Roka64, shims will not do anything if the floor is moving
Yeah I didn't know if it was the carpet or the floor.. It's great that it worked out!

Back
Top Bottom