starting new reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rtclaus

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok just got a new 125 gal tank from all glass with 2 megaflows. I have a few questions, so please bear with me. First off has anyone used this light before http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro/metal_SunPod.htm?gclid=CJHU1fv95o4CFQYjWAod7BfrEQ and are they any good? Im looking at the 72'' and 3-250watt. Will this be to much lighting or not enough?
What size sump do I need for this size tank and how big of a pump do I need? Also what would be the best skimmer to get? If you have any other ideas on the lighting please feel free to suggest.

Congrats on the new tank! I have the Aqualight Pro HQI/Compact Fluorescent/Lunar Light Fixture http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+12113&pcatid=12113 and love it. I have the 72" 834W on my 125. This fixture includes the 10000°K HQI double-ended metal halide, actinic blue compact fluorescent, and 1 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow LEDs.
Skimmers, I don't use but Remora is a good name.
The sump can be any size that you can fit under the tank. Remember, the more water volume the better.

I am going to move this to the General Hardware/Equipment section.

I have a 125 and I run a 40 gallon sump. As far as the return pumps I run a rio 14hf and a mag 12.5. Congrats on the new tank.

Thanks for the input, tomorrow I have the fun of building a stand. I have my old 55gal that was set up before. Would that be overkill for a sump or not.

The 55 won't be overkill. What all do you plan for your sump, i.e are there plans for a fuge in there? I have a 40g sump which includes a fuge. The display is an AGA with 2 overfllow. I use a mag 18 pump for the return.

I agree, the 55 won't be overkill, especially if you plan on a sump, since the tank won't be filled to the top, in this situation....

Back
Top Bottom