Stealth Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank2379

Aquarium Advice Addict
It really doesn't matter I guess what kind of Heater you have. My question is there a way to calibrate the adjustment on your heaters? It seems that every heater I've owned after 6 months or more it does not keep the same temperature that you dial it 2, if I set it for 79 degress it only give me 77 or 78 degress. When new it's dead on. Just wondering if there is a way to calibrate? If not I guess a new one will be replacing the old one soon? Any one know the exact expected life for a heater? Any if possible?:rolleyes::mad:

Mine is even crazier, I put it at 68degrees but my tank always at 76degrees or 77 :)

I cant tell you anything about life of a heater, I've had a visatherm for over a year, no problems. Its never set the same as my water temp though. Last summer I had to turn it down a few degrees and this winter ive bumped it up 3-4. I think in the summer it was set to 74-75 and my water was 79-80, in the winter its set to around 78-79 and the water is around 79-80. I think you'll find that with most heaters. My MH also push the temp up a degree or two right now, Im sure it will be much worse in the summer. Im just thinking if you got that heater 6mo ago(August) it was probably much warmer in your place. I dont think your heater is going out, but I could be wrong.

It's almost impossible to gauge the water temperature by the setting on the heater dial. You have to use a thermometer to accurately measure the water temperature. I use a digital thermometer that I got at a kitchen-home store.

I have had Visitherm Deluxe and Visitherm Stealth heaters. I like them both; I prefer the plastic of the Stealth over the glass Deluxe. They both keep a steady temperature. It's not so much the number on the dial that you need to be concerned with; it's the resulting temperature that you measure with your thermometer, and whether the heater keeps the water at that temperature consistently.

I also adjust the heater dial seasonally. When I do, I use the thermometer to determine where the final setting of the dial should be, rather than the actual number on the dial.

Over the years I think I owned about every brand of heater made. I have yet to find 1 that stays accurate and after time they either don't come on or don't shut off.
IMO, the best thing to do is buy a controller. The Ranco controller is an excellent investment if you want stable temps.

Over the years I think I owned about every brand of heater made. I have yet to find 1 that stays accurate and after time they either don't come on or don't shut off.
IMO, the best thing to do is buy a controller. The Ranco controller is an excellent investment if you want stable temps.

There is 2 which one should I get?

1 is a 1 stage for only controlling a heater or fan. The other is 2 stage that will control both heating and cooling. I use the 2 stage and have it set for my heaters to come on at 78 and shut off at 79 and the fans are set to come on at 81 and shut off at 80. Even with my MH lighting, the fans have not kicked on over the winter. For the summer I'll probably change the heater to on at 77 and off at 78 and fans on at 80 and off at 79.

Yup. The other one to look at is the Johnson Controls A419. A little pricier, but has a few different features. Both are top notch quality industrial controllers. I run the A419 on my tank and can't believe I waited so long to get one. The more $$ you start getting in your tank, the more you start getting concerned about how quick it could go away just because of a stinkin' stuck thermostat.

But to answer your question... I think some of the Ebo Jaegers have an adjustable dial so you can make your thermostat reading match real life. I think. But that still doesn't mean it's not going to drift over time. Better to just set your heater based upon a well-placed (like not right next to the heater!) digital temp probe. (Even with a controller, I still have 4 temperature probes in various parts of my tank. One is for the controller itself, one is one of those temp alarm units, and the other two are those little Coralife digital units. Obsessive? Perhaps... :) )

But by plugging in the unit how does the controller take control of the heater to control the Temperature? Can I use any Heater with it? Or is there a certain type of heater that u need to use?

(Even with a controller, I still have 4 temperature probes in various parts of my tank. One is for the controller itself, one is one of those temp alarm units, and the other two are those little Coralife digital units. Obsessive? Perhaps... :) )
I'm right there with you...lol. But I only have 2 others besides the controller probe.

Frankie, crank your heater up to 84-86 or as high as it will go and plug it into the controller. Any heater works. The controller will send power to it when the temp is below your setpoint and shut off the power when it reaches the 2nd setpoint. By keeping the thermostat high on the heater, you will be sure the heater will turn on when it's powered up by the controller.

It would probably work fine. I don't know if it's worth the $15 savings compared to a controller made for industrial use like the Ranco, or Johnson.
Hobby grade vs industrial grade.

yeah $15 dollar difference I'll probably blow it on something else cool... I'll just get the darn thing.... lol

I have owned MANY heaters in my fish time ' But I will say the rena smart heater has been my BEST heater EVER ~~ I will buy them for every tank I have , very very trustworthy , and really about your issue, the tank & fish are fine with that little of a fluctuation . 1=2 degrees hotter or colder is no big deal. but every cheaper' heater I ever nought always broke, or got stuck on me . my 2$ buy the rena . its awesome !! ~~

Back
Top Bottom