Strange Brown Stains on One of My "Shipwreck" Ornaments...Is This "Brown Algae"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Strange Brown Stains on One of My "Shipwreck" Ornaments...Is This "Brown Algae"?

I've noticed a bunch of "dotted" stains on the white silk sails of a wrecked pirate ship decoration I have in the center of my tank, and they seem to have appeared suddenly...they're pronounced and a reddish brown in color, but I have no idea how they got there...it's almost like one of the fish "bled" or "defacated" on the sails, but of course neither of these scenarios is possible...

Is this some kind of "brown algae" growth? If so, is there anything I can do about this without taking the ornament out of the tank? I think I am just beginning to get this water stable and clean, and I don't want to run the risk of sticking my hand in there to stress the fish and upset the substrate, possibly kicking up loads of debris...

Thanks Liz,

Appreciate the research -- but there are no pictures to compare! Not sure if what they're describing is what we're getting...

The cures seem odd though; should I put this special additive in one of my filters? Get a catfish?

I don't think lighting is the problem -- we have no real plants, and the lighting is fluorescent and isn't left on all that much. The tank isn't in sunlight. :confused:

Is this a new tank? If so, it might be diatoms, which is also called "New Tank Syndrome." My snails took care of mine for me, but I think it goes away by itself.

Well, "fairly" new; it's been running at least since the summer months....

Would these fade off an ornament when they look so dark and stained?

you can just wash them off. but they Will probably be back. you may try washing it and then sun drying it. Im having the same issue now.
It really is annoying , all the work you put in it and then it looks bad.

If it looks kind of like rust and rubs off like powder, its diatoms. Common in new tanks (<6 months old), but can still appear in any tank (caused by silacates). I wouldn't worry with it. I've had a little in my 150g for the 1.5 years I've had it

I am not sure what you mean. Mine went away because the snails ate it.

Well, I have no snails to eat this -- but what I meant was, will they fade by themselves, I wonder, due to the fact that they're so dark and horiffic in appearance?

If it looks kind of like rust and rubs off like powder, its diatoms. Common in new tanks (<6 months old), but can still appear in any tank (caused by silacates). I wouldn't worry with it. I've had a little in my 150g for the 1.5 years I've had it

This must be what it is -- the spots do look like rust. I haven't touched them though. Can you explain what these "diatoms" and "silacates" are, and where they come from?

Thanks.

you can just wash them off. but they Will probably be back. you may try washing it and then sun drying it. Im having the same issue now.
It really is annoying , all the work you put in it and then it looks bad.

What "issue" are you having though -- the same kinds of stains?

Back
Top Bottom