Submerged Mirrors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

montecatini

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Has anyone experience with SUBMERGED mirrors (by possibly protecting the mirror back by laminating/siliconing it to another sheet of 3 mm glass)? Can you suggest any other solutions for hiding the black plexi filter (3 sided; 15 x 25 cm.)? Do you know of any other products of this nature on the market?

Please! Thank you!

Welcome to AA!

Personally, I'd stay away from mirrors in the tank. I think it's just asking for the fish to smack into the mirrors and hurt themselves.

What kind of filter are you using? Some are easier to hid than others. I prefer to hide mine behind plants.

Hiding a filter with mirror or . . . ?

Thank you all very much for your comments and insights. Please allow me to reiterate: I am not looking for a mirror background on the tank exterior. Rather, a very small reflective surface area INSIDE the aquarium, i.e., underwater. Herein lies the problem. Again, I turn to laminating mirror to non-mirrored glass unless there is another solution. It does not have to be affixed to the filter, only an unattached 3 sided reflective surface @ 15 x 35 cm. Nothing more.

Thank you!

I understand what you're trying to do and I still think there's a pretty good chance of a fish bashing into the mirrors. If a fish gets spooked, it may see the reflection in the mirror as an escape route.

If you're absolutely set on it, I'm not even sure you'd really need to coat the back of the mirror. I think I'd actually just paint the back of the mirror with Krylon Fusion spray paint to add an extra layer of protection. It's cheaper and less hassle than sticking glass together.

BigJim, are you suggesting this person spray paint the back of the mirror that will be going INSIDE of the tank? Can krylon fusion go underwater without leaching chemicals in to the water?

BigJim, are you suggesting this person spray paint the back of the mirror that will be going INSIDE of the tank? Can krylon fusion go underwater without leaching chemicals in to the water?

Yes I am and yes it can. Krylon Fusion is a special paint intended for plastics and other unusual materials. I've seen people use it on plumbing in reef tanks with no ill effects. Just make sure to let it fully cure.

i think you will greatly stress the fish with a mirror in the tank or outside of it for that matter. most fish get stressed when they see another of same sex in the vicinity.
that said, the glass will only be reflective for about a week 'till it's coated with algae.

If you really must have a mirrored look, I would suggest using mylar film (automotive parts store). This is totally plastic & inert, so you can just glue (silicone) it to the area. You may also consider some other mylar finish other than polished mirror ... maybe a smoked mirror look ... that is not so reflective so the fish may be less spooked.

if this is to hide the filter intake, would that not create any problems with flow? seems like there would either be a dead spot (great for attracting uneaten food/detrius) or it would limit the amount of water available for the filter to uptake? Maybe i'm missing somthing though?

Back
Top Bottom