Submersible Pump Heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lobstertrician

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am running a 200 gallon freshwater tank with an open sump, below-tank filter. The submersible pump is an Oblong FS-7000 (rated at 1200 gph at zero head). It was made in China, came with the aquarium package, and there is little to no online information available. It's doing a fine job at pumping water, except it seems to be adding a bit of heat to the water. I know that any submersible pump will necessarily add some heat, but my question is, are there particular pumps known for low heat production (high efficiency) that I could consider as a replacement? It's also just a little noisy: not too bad, but a quieter pump would be better in our living room. So, two related questions: a pump with lower heat production and, hopefully, less noise.
Thanks!

Not sure about pumps options in the large size tank/sump.

Sometimes filters and pumps take some time for some bacteria to form in them almost like a bit of cushion and also for the motors to wear in some and they maybe will get more quiet.

If it "came with the tank" and it has been used a while and not a new item, it might be worn some, or of less quality unfortunately.

Thanks

Thanks Autumnsky: I think quality could well be the issue. I think I'll track down a replacement and keep this one as an emergency spare.
Cheers!

Thanks Mr Bandit, I will: can you tell me if the AC to DC inverter is inside the pump housing (submerged) itself, or is it in the external controller (inverters generate heat). Also, I understand the DC pump curve drops off a little quicker than AC, is that right? For, say, 4m/12' head (including fittings and elbows), how much more flow would a DC unit be expected to lose, compared to an AC? Thanks again, Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom