Suggestions for prefilters for power filters in sand aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi I was just wondering if anyone has any experience or suggestions about what product or DIY prefilter works best in a sand, Freshwater aquarium. My tank is currently cycling and runs two Penguin biowheel 200 filters and I don't want the sand to ruin them before I even get fish in there.

Preferably would like to keep it low budget and I am unfortunately not in a position to buy a canister filter right now.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to AA(y)
I do not know those type of filters,but as long as the intakes are kept away from the sand then there should be know problem. You could also put a small piece of sponge over the intakes as a precaution,you can find plenty of sponges in the pond section of your local shop{just pick a piece of the porosity you want then simply cut it to size,make a hole to put the intake into and job done!:cool:

Thanks took your advice

I bought a replacement sponge for a for an imagitarium sponge filter from petco. cut it in half so that it was a little bit bigger than the filter intake which is a pyramid shape. Then I went in with a small pocket knife to make a hole for the filter intake to go in.

It took some work to get it fully covered by the sponge. then once it was in I used some scissors to round all the edges (this was only for aesthetic purposes). then I repeated the process to make the second prefilter.

Both prefilters work great they have minimal to no effect on the flow rate, and the biowheel still spins fine on both filters.

Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom