sump and skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spanishmak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone.I have had saltwater aquariums in the past but had never heard of a wet/dry filter and now I have one with a 75 gallon? glass tank(48" long /18 1/8 wide and 20.5 "high).My question is ,do I have everything for this sump to work?,and is this skimmer missing a cup on top or does the double wall inside collect the gunk?Any help would be appreciated.I will post more pics if necesary.Tanks alot in advance.

Attachments

• 0407121442[1].jpeg
    0407121442[1].jpeg
    122.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 0407121442a[1].jpeg
    0407121442a[1].jpeg
    139.3 KB · Views: 80
Looks like the setup is complete. I see a pump for the skimmer and a return pump as well. I would think yes, that skimmer needs a cup to collect the gunk. :-(

Would I be able to buy the skimmer cup seperately or would I have to buy a new skimmer?

Well, not to rain on your parade but that skimmer in my opinion isn't worth saving. Those types are usually very inefficient anyways.

It looks like you have plenty of room in the far right compartment since the return pump is external so you could fit most any skimmer you like in there.

What are you planning on keeping? Corals at all? If you are starting with fish only you can pass on the skimmer for a bit in my opinion. But I would for sure consider one since you clearly have the room and it can do nothing but help your tank. :)

some coral but mostly fish.So in you're opinion I can do without the skimmer for a little while.I want mostly fish but some coral and live rock.

If funds are short right now you can setup and go from there. :)

You'll have to keep up on water changes, watch your feeding and not overstock but the skimmer can come later in my opinion.

Check out this site for an idea on skimmers, and you want one rated for about 1.5 to 2.0 X the tank volume, best results that way.

Protein Skimmer, Protein Skimmers - AquaCave.com

This site has the size and measurements of the skimmers so you can find one that will fit the sump and your wallet. :)

Hey thanks alot cary i appreciate all the info.gonna get the tank set up.I will be posting.again,tanks alot!!!

Back
Top Bottom