Sump and uv sterilizer ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Samantha_p

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi,:D what's the ideal tank size(gal) to use as a sump for a 125 gal
fowlr and what size pump to go with it?
also,can a uv sterilizer sold for ponds be use in a marine aquarium?
(I saw a few at eBay for a real good price)

i think you can use pond designs in an aquarium, just make sure it has no material that will rust it the salt water, it is far more corrosive than fresh. and for the sump as big as possible is the best, more volume= more dilution and stability.

i think you can use pond designs in an aquarium, just make sure it has no material that will rust it the salt water, it is far more corrosive than fresh. and for the sump as big as possible is the best, more volume= more dilution and stability.

No you can NOT use freshwater/pond sterilizers in a marine setting. The rate of refraction in SW, with its high TDS count will neutralize any effect of the UV system. Freshwater and Pond UV sterilizers especially have a very large space between the actual quartz tube and the outer case in between which the water flows. High quality FW and marine sterilizers have a tighter fit for the water, allowing better penetration. A pond sterilizer will not cut it. The pond sterilizer I have on my Koi pond has a 10mm fit and all it kills is green water.

You are looking for around 6mm space for a marine sterilizer.

hi,:D what's the ideal tank size(gal) to use as a sump for a 125 gal
fowlr and what size pump to go with it?

I dont know what the ideal size is but I have a forty gallon long under my 125 gallon reef. The main tank has two overflows into the sump/refugium and I have two pumps (a mag 12 and a mag9.5) that return to the main. Just giving you an idea what I have.

Back
Top Bottom