Sump Baffles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
Which design would be better at stopping micro-bubbles from entering the display tank- The set of over-under-over baffles: A)after the drain and before the fuge or B)before the return, after the fuge?

Attachments

• sump_815.gif
    sump_815.gif
    2 KB · Views: 283
The longer the bubbles have to travel, the more they will break up and go away. Hence the baffle approach. So, in your question, the path distance doesn't change so it shouldn't matter.

Although, most folks would place it after the drain. So you would go......
drain>PS>Baffles>fuge>return.

I think you would be fine either way. The majority of the bubbles come from the drain.

After thinking about it I'm going to put them before the fuge in order to keep bubbles from accumulating there. Thanks guys.

When I first saw your post my thought was why didn't I go with that design as it seems more simple than mine.

I just realized that with your design you will have a lot of flow running through your fuge unless you are running a smaller pump and a seperate closed loop or PH for additional flow in the main.

Before you start to build take a look at this thread:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=63447&highlight=

Within the thread is the link to the design I followed and some others ideas. With my sump there is a bit more plumbing, but it is very simple. I view my fuge as a final stage for polishing the water as well as a place to increase pods. I do not run a closed loop either and mine have been working great so far.

Just a thought while you are still in the design stage.

There is literally a million different ways to do this I think. I'm not overly concerned about the flow through the fuge. If the flow is too much for macros/pods it will just be a LR chamber. W/ room for only a 20 gal. there is not a lot of space for baffles so I'm going to have to make some sacrifices. Now I have to keep my head from exploding long enough to build it...
The final over will have egg crate glued on top to prevent any macros etc. from clogging the return. The final under before the return is intended to prevent water from splashing directly into the return chamber and creating bubbles if water levels run low from evaporation. Thanks again for the help/links Aaron

Attachments

• sump_w_under_return.gif
    sump_w_under_return.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 171
Back
Top Bottom