Sump filters - theory & plumbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bpeitzke

Aquarium Advice Activist
I now have a cannister filter on my 65-bal FOWLR tank, but am thinking about changing to a sump filter, and wondering about combining one with a refugium. I'm looking for info on the theory of sump filters (e.g. what are the baffles for?) and specifics on the plumbing.

In particular, since sump filters as I understand them are open and gravity fed from main tank, you must need some sort of valve to control the outflow water to keep the sump from overflowing. I want to understand the plumbing and how it works before proceeding.

One advantage I see for a sump filter is that it would use a sock filter that would be easy to clean or change - right?

Grateful for any helpful pointers.

TIA

Bob Peitzke

I now have a cannister filter on my 65-bal FOWLR tank, but am thinking about changing to a sump filter, and wondering about combining one with a refugium. I'm looking for info on the theory of sump filters (e.g. what are the baffles for?) and specifics on the plumbing.

In particular, since sump filters as I understand them are open and gravity fed from main tank, you must need some sort of valve to control the outflow water to keep the sump from overflowing. I want to understand the plumbing and how it works before proceeding.

One advantage I see for a sump filter is that it would use a sock filter that would be easy to clean or change - right?

Grateful for any helpful pointers.

TIA

Bob Peitzke

To avoid possible overflowing of the sump. Your best option is to drill the hole in the tank near the water surface. This way water can only overflow into the sump from the surface that is pumped back into the tank itself from the sump.

I would never have an overflow any other way, because of exactly what you fear. Some people build a corner overflow with a piece of glass to get dry filteration as it overflows over the top down to the drilled hole at the bottom of the tank. But if the silicon fails on the corner glass, your whole tank would drain dry.

I would never have an overflow any other way, because of exactly what you fear.

My tank is drilled on the bottom and I use the Durso standpipes and it does not allow your tank to overflow, not even during power outages. It also does not give a gargling noise that most other overflows experience. I would highly recommend looking into it.

img_878305_0_a36626c16bd7610ccaf203648f475879.jpg

Back
Top Bottom