Sump for Freshwater Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveMc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Afternoon all,

I was wanting to get some opinions if possible. For years I have used several filtration methods on my tank from under-gravel filtration, power filters that hang on the outside or inside of the tank to internal filters. Lately I have been pulled to possibly looking into a sump for my tank.

Normally I see these on saltwater tanks but was wondering if it would be a good idea for a freshwater aquarium?

• Would it be beneficial?
  • would it be more cost effective?
  • What size sump would be appropriate for a 55 gallon tank?
  • Should it have a refugium since I am using live plants?
  • Wet/Dry or Other?
Any advice from those more knowledgeable on the subject would be greatly appreciated. :razz:

What filter do you have now your 55g now?

1.Would it be beneficial? Well, Yes, because you are adding more water vol. If you put a 20-30g as a sump now you have 70+ vol level. Easy to see what is going on and change filter.

2.would it be more cost effective? Starting it up no long run maybe. On the electric bill depends on the pump you get and what watts it is pulling.

3. What size sump would be appropriate for a 55 gallon tank? Pump size you can look at the eheim and the amount of water going down and head pressure going up

4.Should it have a refugium since I am using live plants? That up to you...Maybe you can make it part of it vs' hiding it.

5.Wet/Dry or Other?
Yes, you can do that and that is what I use on my 130g.

What filter do you have now your 55g now?

1.Would it be beneficial? Well, Yes, because you are adding more water vol. If you put a 20-30g as a sump now you have 70+ vol level. Easy to see what is going on and change filter.

2.would it be more cost effective? Starting it up no long run maybe. On the electric bill depends on the pump you get and what watts it is pulling.

3. What size sump would be appropriate for a 55 gallon tank? Pump size you can look at the eheim and the amount of water going down and head pressure going up

4.Should it have a refugium since I am using live plants? That up to you...Maybe you can make it part of it vs' hiding it.

5.Wet/Dry or Other?
Yes, you can do that and that is what I use on my 130g.

Thank you Rare :)

currently I am using 2 hanging filters that are suitable for a 40-50 gallon tank each. They do a good job but every tank I have seen with a sump appears to have much clearer and better water quality. This is the main reason I am looking at the sump...not to mention as you answered in #1 easier to see whats going on and change.

I really appreciate your feedback, will start looking into one now. :thanks:

Dave,

What brand of filters are they & their GPH? Also what do have in your filter?

Maybe there isn't enough filtration by GPH turning over or a mechanical filtration to make it clear or not changing the filter often.

Is your 55g heavily stock & how much PWC do you do weekly?

Dave,

What brand of filters are they & their GPH? Also what do have in your filter?

Maybe there isn't enough filtration by GPH turning over or a mechanical filtration to make it clear or not changing the filter often.

Is your 55g heavily stock & how much PWC do you do weekly?

Currently I have to Whisper 30i internal filters that do 60 gallons per hour between the two. These came with it...not very happy with them.

As far as the filtration it uses the normal filter pads with carbon in them and then also a separate carbon sponge in each. As far as PWC I normally do to about a quarter of the tank weekly.

Stock wise I wouldn't say heavily stocked as I can without problem get more in there lol, majority of the fish are smaller one's with the biggest being the Blue Gourami's at this time and next in line are Parrot Cichlids.

Don't overstock and do 50% water changes weekly if you want to clear up your water. Also doing weekly cleanup is important. Your filters seem weak, so an upgrade would help. Perhaps substrate is your issue? There could be many problems with your tank if it can't have clear water in its current condition.

IME it was a lot easier and convenient doing water changes compared to setting up a sump since its better for all tank inhabitants (both plants and fish) by replenishing a lot of micronutrients, and you physically remove the waste instead of prolonging water changes to let the wastes rot. SW people would rather prolong water changes ($alt) with skimmer and growing macroalgae. Most of the micronutrients are replenished when doing small water change since the salt mix is usually packed with lots of micronutrients. The reason why you see saltwater tanks with clear water is because they keep up with good weekly maintenance since more work is needed with those tanks. There are also a lot of tanks that do not have sumps that also have very clear water due to good upkeep. Good upkeep is key

Any freshwater system without CO2 injections would be beneficial (if setup properly) with a sump/refugium, but its not worth the time over complicating things and using more money. If you like tinkering around with your tank, then go ahead and add a sump/refugium. Its more work IME for upkeep.

IMO its considered a refugium when you are growing plants to export nutrients, but it does not matter if you call it a refugium or a sump. You are better off not using bioballs so that you can have more space for plants.

HTH, post if you want clarifications.

Thank you Terrance for the information. I have decided against the sump for now. After starting the water changes etc. The tank is AWESOME!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom