Sump help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slitherbomb

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering how to get/make the baffles to separate the sections within a sump. No one seems to ever mention this so I really need help!

Buy glass at lowes cut to right size. Silicone in.

You can get whole sheets and cut them yourself or get a glass shop (or Lowe's) to cut exactly what you need.

I bought an acrylic sheet along with a little knife that they had right by the acrylic to cut it, at home depot, but cutting it to exactly the size I need is difficult.

Acrylic does not seal well to glass with silicone. I woudl go with glass baffles. A little harder to deal with, but a much better seal with better long term results.

I suggest measuring exactly what you need, go to a glass shop, and have them cut what you need from smoked glass. The darker glass keeps light in the fuge out of all the other chambers, preventing algae growth outside of the fuge.

I went to a local glass shop and had them cut the pieces. They were spot on with exactly what I needed. I got 1/8" glass and had them sand the edges a very small amount to keep them from cutting me.

I'll tell you I did cut it REALLY close on mine. I had them made 1/4" less than I needed from side to side and that almost created problems because in some spots it was a very tight fit.

Idk if I can go to a glass shop because it'll be expensive. I'm going to call home depot to see if they can do it. Do I make the sides exactly how much space it is (11.75") or do I make it a bit smaller?

The glass shop I went to charged 3.5 a square foot cut. I think for the 6 pieces I paid somewhere around 45.00 total. I thought it was a pretty good deal myself.

That's not bad. I'll have to call my glass shop for an estimate. I'm not going for the traditional style of refugium/ sump so I will need smaller baffles, but like 5 pieces.

I need 2 to make a square in the corner for the intake, then the water overflows into a refugium, then I need 3 to make a bubble trap that leads to the return.

I got a piece of glass made at the local glass shop (mesko glass) and they cut it and finished the edges for a fish tank for $16 that's including tax and delivery. It was 36" by 16" at quarter inch thick. I couldn't believe how cheap it was considering home depot wanted close to $80 for comparable size and I still would of had to finish edges and cut to desired size myself

Back
Top Bottom