sump help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eric m

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, i'm haveing some problems with my sump. We have an All-glass 155 gallon bow-front with 2 mega-flows. The sump is an All-glass model 4. The problem is with the flow in to the sump from only one of the drain lines. The water will backup in the mega flow then chug its way down the drain line causeing the water to splash out in to the sump. Why is it doing this? We have 2 Rio 2500 pumps, one for each side. We've been doing aquariums for years, this is the first sump we've dealt with. Please help.
Thanks

Uhm, a kink or bend in the drain line? I am not familiar with your brand of sump. Or do you think it is purely an overflow unit problem?

Sumps definitely gurgle more than other filters, but the surges and splashes have to be from some form of obstruction to water flow, at least I would think.

After i posted the message i moved the sump over so i could what whats happening on that side. I noticed that it's air being forced down the line, then coming to the surface in sump which is causeing the splashing. i think theres to much water flow going into the megaflow box. I backed off the retuen line pressure and it stopped, but the drawback is theres not much flow coming out of the return line. I was told if the floor wasn't level perfectly it wouldn't make a big difference. but in this case the floor slopes to that side make more water going into that box. Can i shim up that side under the stand safely? Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can shim up a tank to make it level. Your hardware store will sell the wooden shims that you can put under the stand, where needed. Use a level, and if you don't have one, you can use the water in the tank as a level. If you get is so that it is a uniform distance below the top of the tank, its essentially the same thing as a level.

Using shims to make a tank level is actually recommended, it keeps the pressures and forces created by all that water equal throughout the tank.

Make sure you don't have any bends, kinks, or "u's" in the drain lines. In a typical sump set up, the outflow hoses are larger than the inflow hoses, and have a higher capacity than the inflow hoses. This prevents flooding. The drain hoses are normally not completely filled with water, but have air in them and the water travelling down them. This is where much of the gurgling sound comes from. If you have a bend in the outflow hose, water will stall there, until enough water accumulates to occlude the hose then air and water behind it will force it through the bend. This will cause a surge of water and air distal to the bend.

Besides leveling the tank, you can adjust the depth of each overflow box to adjust the amount of water that goes through each box, and adjust the level of water in the tank. That is assuming you have a tank with hang on the back overflow boxes, I don't know if tanks with the built in overflows are adjustable.

The megalfow boxes are contained in the tank. They are adhered to the inside back of the tank with the 2 holes in in the bottom each meagaflow for the drain and return line. we had to buy these kits that contained the bulkheads and PVC for drain and return lines. The drain line is adjustable, but nothing i did there solved the problem. Thank you for your help again!

It sounds like you have a drilled tank with 2 internal overflows, one on each end.

For this setup, the water level in the tank is determined by the height of the raker teeth. If your tank is not level, one of your box may be deeper than the other, thus receiving preferential flow.

Second, the standpipes inside the overflow boxes has to be of the same height. If one of your standpipe is higher than the water level, you will not get flow through it.

I am assuming that you ahv echecked for kinks, blockages ... etc.

Finally, you might post this in the SW forum. The salties have far more experience with overflows & sumps than us FW folks.

So far i've shimed up the stand, adjusted drainpipes and now everything is running smoothly. I just want to say thanks for everyones input, it's been a lot of help. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom