Sump intake height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GhostKnife

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The drain pipe leading from my main tank down to my sump I have not glued to place yet because I do not know if this is where I intend on having it height wise. I have a 10 foot stick so I can make taller obviously shorter.
However the height now is right below maybe a 1/4 of an inch below my overflow walls. I dont want the power to go out and end up with a floor full of aquarium inhabitants. Therefore I am trying to make a power outage proof drainage system by simply placement of the intake filter(non powered just a cone with grooves...) The water in the main tank is what will stay constant correct? The water in the sump is what shows the affects of evaporation. Right?

I'm not sure I'm following you, but the length of the drain pipe going to the sump has nothing to do with how much water ends up in the sump when the pump is off.
The water in the tank will drain thru the overflow, or return line depending on where it is in the tank, and will continue to drain until it's below the level of the overflow or return line.
You have to make sure you don't have too much water in the sump while the system is running so that if the power goes out, the sump will hold what drains from the tank.

Yea capt thats what I am referring height rather than length. Gotcha. So I have a question. How do you manually control the level in the sump? Just put more water in the sump its self or less of course. I just answered my own question thanks.

Back
Top Bottom