Sump Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goalieman59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So here is my sump I am having some issues. So I guess the new set up is causing a air bubble in the intake from the tank, so every so often the stand pipe/sump gurgles. Is there any way to fix it?
moz-screenshot.png

Attachments

• Sump1.jpg
    Sump1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 119
  • sump2.jpg
    sump2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 127
So here is my sump I am having some issues. So I guess the new set up is causing a air bubble in the intake from the tank, so every so often the stand pipe/sump gurgles. Is there any way to fix it?
moz-screenshot.png

Im not completely following what you are explaining :confused:. Is your return pipe which goes from the tank back into the sump, underneath the water level in the sump? Even if it is, it really shouldn't make a difference, now that I think about it mine return pipe which dumps water into the sump is underwater. My guess is that it has something to do with your overflow/drain in the tank (is this what you are calling "intake?") is not draining the water properly. Do you have a picture of the standpipe in the tank?

Gurgling in the standpipe is a pia. I just put one on a 90 and it was running super quiet for 60 days and now the gurgling starts. Mind you I've had one on another 90 for years and not a peep. So far I've...

Increased the air hole at the top... Quiet for about 20 mins. then gurgle gurgle

Shoved a 1/4" airline tube in the intake... Quiet for about 20 mins. then gurgle gurgle

Shoved a 3/8" airline tube in the intake ..Quiet for about 20 mins. then gurgle gurgle

Next up is to drill out a bigger hole in the cap and work my way back with a value.

My drain is about 3" underwater (give or take based on evap). I might try and move it above the water line too.. Sometimes if it' too far under water the back pressure can cause the water in the overflow chamber to rise and fall.. Though I'm not sure that's 100% associated w/ the gurgle though

Im not completely following what you are explaining :confused:. Is your return pipe which goes from the tank back into the sump, underneath the water level in the sump? Even if it is, it really shouldn't make a difference, now that I think about it mine return pipe which dumps water into the sump is underwater. My guess is that it has something to do with your overflow/drain in the tank (is this what you are calling "intake?") is not draining the water properly. Do you have a picture of the standpipe in the tank?
The return pipe is in the water in the sump, the idea was to get very little water movment. The overflow drain pipe is a durso standpipe, I did not have any gurgle issues until I had to move the pipe up to raise the water level in the overflow. What else can i tell you that will help with an answer.

It's the durso.. google durso gurgle (or some variation). I still haven't found the majic bullet.

How big is the air hole in the cap?

I've seen that elsewhere and it didn't get good reviews.. but who am I to judge based on my superior fix! What gets me is it ran quiet as a bell for 2 months then started.. and it quiets down when I insert a tube in the street El .. for about 30 minutes.. then starts over again.

Let me know how it works ifyou try it. I just don't have the heart right now to try and cut the cap off and all that.. in that tight space

Luckily this one is in the basement...

I've seen that elsewhere and it didn't get good reviews.. but who am I to judge based on my superior fix! What gets me is it ran quiet as a bell for 2 months then started.. and it quiets down when I insert a tube in the street El .. for about 30 minutes.. then starts over again.

Let me know how it works ifyou try it. I just don't have the heart right now to try and cut the cap off and all that.. in that tight space

Luckily this one is in the basement...
Well the tank started kind of a slurping sound now. I have clear tubing going into the sump. you can watch air bubble starting in the tube then slurp/gurgle the it goes quite for a little while.

My tank is drilled Reef Ready with two overflows and the "Hofer Gurgle Buster" I made myself, on top of the drain/standpipes.

My tank is drilled Reef Ready with two overflows and the "Hofer Gurgle Buster" I made myself, on top of the drain/standpipes.

Ryshark,

What kind of flow rate do you get with those gurgle busters. I am starting my overflow and sump soon and am interested. As said earlier I will not have a lot of room to get in an cut our to remove and replace.

BTW I am looking for appx 750-800 gpm. my overflow will be rather large and could handle multiple standpipes.

Bear

Ryshark,

What kind of flow rate do you get with those gurgle busters. I am starting my overflow and sump soon and am interested. As said earlier I will not have a lot of room to get in an cut our to remove and replace.

BTW I am looking for appx 750-800 gpm. my overflow will be rather large and could handle multiple standpipes.

Bear

From what I remember, I drilled the holes in the Gurgle Busters a little bigger than what they show in that link because my drainpipes are 1.5"
I use an Eheim 1262 pump which I think is around 900gph (not counting head loss). Put it this way, I installed ball-valves on my drainpipes and I can turn one of them completely off and the other gurgle buster can still handle it alone. I didn't have much room in my overflows, my original plan was to make a Durso, but I didn't have the room for it, so I found that link listed earlier and built that.
You said "750-800 gpm" above. You mean GPH, right?

You said "750-800 gpm" above. You mean GPH, right?

Yes GPH... oops

I love to over build things, and the overflow is going to be grand.

Have a thread in the DIY forum "My DIY Project....." keep an eye on it in the next couple weeks, got the funding from the boss, starting in the next week or so.

Bear

Yes GPH... oops

I love to over build things, and the overflow is going to be grand.

Have a thread in the DIY forum "My DIY Project....." keep an eye on it in the next couple weeks, got the funding from the boss, starting in the next week or so.

Bear

Nice!

Well the tank started kind of a slurping sound now. I have clear tubing going into the sump. you can watch air bubble starting in the tube then slurp/gurgle the it goes quite for a little while.

Moved to an 11/64" air hole. Quiet as can be for the last 18 hours. I think it's finally fine tuned.

Ok so I have tried the airline in the overflow hole, I have tried making the hole smaller/larger. This nosie did not start until I put the tube into the water. Also the tube is a clear smooth tube, i did try it with a pool/spa tube that had ribs. i did not seem to do it with that tube why.

Back
Top Bottom