Sump Noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kfig7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just swapped out my wet/dry filter for a sump/refugium. Everything went well except I cant seem to quiet the water flowing into the sump. I tried putting the outlet deeper, above water, etc. All very loud. Wondering if anyone has any ideas and would something like this work?

Attachments

• sumpfitting.jpg
    sumpfitting.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 129
I'm at my witts end here. I have tried every possible combination to try and make it quiet but there seems to be no way. Very frustrating! :(

I'm thinking the only way to get it somewhat quieter would be to make a lid of some sort on my sump. I just dont know what to do. That it for tonight I guess. I will battle it a little more tomorrow.

Make sure the outlet is UNDER water.

I agree with "under" the water. Also, what size return pump are you using for what sized tank? Maybe you have too big of a return pump creating too much water fallind down into the sump??? Thats just a guess. How do your overflows sound, are they quiet?
I'm not following your diagram. At first I though it was your overflow because of the air hole, but I can't see where the water would drain into it.

Last edited:
I agree with "under" the water. Also, what size return pump are you using for what sized tank? Maybe you have too big of a return pump creating too much water fallind down into the sump??? Thats just a guess. How do your overflows sound, are they quiet?
I'm not following your diagram. At first I though it was your overflow because of the air hole, but I can't see where the water would drain into it.

The diagram didn't help anyway. I have a hob overflow but thats pretty much silent. The problem is the water flowing into the sump. The pump i'm using is a mag 9.5 and its a 75 gallon tank. I have the pump dialed down a little with a ball valve. I added a filter sock to the system which helps a little with the spashing noise. I figured out most of the noise is coming from the water rushing through the pvc and I'm hoping it will quiet down after a few weeks. We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom