Sump or Trickle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Branew

Aquarium Advice Regular
Going to be building my own sump soon. I currently have a trickle but most sumps I see built don't use a trickle.

Question....

What's the difference in having a trickle over some LR rubble -compared to - just having the water go into a section where I have some LR.

In the trickle I would be able to use a filter pad for some mech filtration.

Which is better and why?

Thanks!

For the LR rubble to do any good the LR must be submerged in the sump. Water trickling over it will do no good.

Sump Design

For the LR rubble to do any good the LR must be submerged in the sump. Water trickling over it will do no good.

OK...so if using LR rubble it must be submerged, got it.

Any benefit of trickle over Bio-Balls? I have a 90G aquarium and I was going to use a 55G (that the 90G replaced) as the sump. Using a 55G I have plenty of room especially since I already have an external 20L fuge.

Section 1 - Trickle over Bio Balls / fall into submerged LR
Section 2 - Equiptment Area (Protein Skimmer, Heater, etc)
Section 3 - Bubble Trap
Section 4 - Return
Section 5 - Acclimation section, possibly QT?

Here is an rough diagram... (click for larger image)

Any thoughts in this design?

ditch the bioballs and your good to go with the exception of the QT/Acclimation setup. IMO bad idea. Anything bad in your tank, errr ich/parasites/etc will move to your QT area. The idea of the QT is to make sure it's pristine conditions so that you can make sure your fish aren't infected. This setup defeats that purpose.

ditch the bioballs and your good to go with the exception of the QT/Acclimation setup. IMO bad idea. Anything bad in your tank, errr ich/parasites/etc will move to your QT area. The idea of the QT is to make sure it's pristine conditions so that you can make sure your fish aren't infected. This setup defeats that purpose.

OK...Bio Balls ditched!

QT area ditched!

I raised the water level to get more volume...but not all the way up to account for power off. Should use about 35+ gallons of the 55 and add alot more volume to my system..

This really simplifies things now...

might consider switching the skimmer and the LR. Center compartment will let you put some macro in there for nutrient export too. just an option

Back
Top Bottom