Sump Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tntfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys i need some help my the pvc elbows i have connected to the water pump tha shoot the water back into my tank is leaking what can i put on it so i does not urt my fish because the hardware stores jus tell me putty nd cement nd silicon but not sure if any of these things are safe plz help

What are you connecting the elbow to?

My return pump has threaded ends, so I just used threaded PVC fittings. If that leaks, you can use some plastic thread tape, but mine are fine as is.

Unthreaded PVC needs to be glued. The regular PVC cement is fine as long as you let it cure for a few days. <Use the ones for potable water (rather than for sewers) - that is certified to be toxin free after curing.>

If you don't want a permanent connection & don't have threaded ends, you can use barbed fittings & short lengths of vinyl hoses to connect the pipes together. Silicone is safe (use plain, clear, 100% silicone without mildewcide.) but it will not stick to PVC. <even tho I know better, I tried a quick fix with silicone. It fell apart after just a few weeks.

I use food grade vinyl hose, hose clamps, hose barbs on external (dry) connections. Like jsoong stated PVC glue will work but it makes difficult to do maintenance or replace the pump.

If you can get it dry, sometimes globbing on the glue around a small leak seals it up. It's not that high of a pressure situation , it may work. If not, ripping in out and redoing it is the best option.

Unless you're looking for other alternatives (see above) though your post didn't seem to indicate you were.

Back
Top Bottom