sump pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
All for a year I have had hob filters and now am converting to sump . I've read that for the appropriate head you multiply your tank volume by 5. However i have a 110 gallon and using the aboveentioned theory a 810 gph pump I had been looking was suitable. I saw fine print that this is however at 0 feet! I'm guessing to pump 6 feet which is about what I need I would need significant more horse power. What size gph rating will I need for 6' on a 110 gallon tank to have it turn enough water over?

There's usually a chart with the pump that will show head pressure gph at X amount of feet (rise).

I use a 1200 gph iwaki pump on a 75 gal tank and it is the clearest tank I've ever seen..

+1 If you know the brand name, look at their website or call them for the pump curve. Figuring out your "head" can be a bit challenging if you want to get a precise number. For a basic measurement, measure the vertical distance from your pump return to where the water reenters the tank. It should give you a pretty good ballpark number.

Back
Top Bottom