sump pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

So I am diving into the sump world to learn for my future upgrades into saltwater.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump, that I got from a guy on craigslist.

I was curious if anyone had any suggestions of good, but CHEAP, return pumps I could use. I am completely new to this so specific product names will really help.

The sump will be sitting approximately 3 ft below top of tank. I am not looking to get a crazy GPH because I do not want to pay for that much.

I am very curious in hearing what all you guys have to say and would love to know what you suggest and why.

The guy who had it originally said he used a 950 GPH pump, however, I do not think I need to spend that much money unless I absolutely have to.

NOTE: this is for a FW tank but will eventually be upgraded to saltwater. I will also have to HOB filters running on this tank as well so GPH is not a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Any particular brands or price range?

Also if I get a pump with too low of a GPH will I have a problem with too much water in the sump before being returned???

techo said:
Any particular brands or price range?

Also if I get a pump with too low of a GPH will I have a problem with too much water in the sump before being returned???

Sorry I edited it to get the link to the one I use look above. The only problem I had with it was it was faster then my overflow so I added another and put a valve on the return line so I can control the speed of the flow.

Well thanks for looking anyway!

Do you by chance know that if my return pump is not powerful enough if I will have overflow issues or is this counteracted by just making sure when you add water to the tank you don't add too much to the sump correct?

Yeah, if your return doesn't push enough gph you'll overflow. FYI, when you are adding water to your system for water changes or top offs, you add it into the sump rather than the display tank. This prevents air bubbles and temp drops in the display.

For your setup, I would point you in a similar direction that I went as I am running a 55 gal tank with 20 gal long sump/fuge setup. I have a CPR overflow which then leads into the fuge which is powered by a mag 5 return pump. The mag 5 is rated at around 500 gph. This is pretty hefty for the setup, but you would rather to much than too little and then simply dial it back via a ball valve.

Now if your pump is too high of a gph wont you burn up the motor because you are pumping more water than taking in and essentially you cannot keep up with the pump unless you are constantly adding water?

Youd need to find one that fits the pump you get. Itll be the same size fitting as the pvc youd use for your return line. I got mine from lowes for almost nothing.

Now if your pump is too high of a gph wont you burn up the motor because you are pumping more water than taking in and essentially you cannot keep up with the pump unless you are constantly adding water?

There are pros and cons to having a sump just like everything else. If you pump to much and your overflow can't keep up you'll run your pump dry and more then likely the tank will overflow. If you siphon breaks your pump will keep pumping and again your tank will overflow. If your sump area isn't big enough you take a chance of it overflowing. If the power goes out when your not around your sump area will overflow again if its not big enough to hold all the water. When the power comes back on more then likely your siphon would have broke and the pump will kick back on and the tank will overflow.

Now the only way around it is to add a ball valve on your return line and a thing that stops the water from siphoning back down that line. I've drawled a blank on what its called but its found at your local hardware store. This way if it pumps to fast/much you can control the water flow with the ball valve. Your better off with an drilled tank with a straight pvc line to overflow due to there is no siphon. Or you can do what I do and only run it when your home to be safe. I've had a few screw up on me and its not fun when all the water is everywhere

Hope this helps :dance:

There are pros and cons to having a sump just like everything else. If you pump to much and your overflow can't keep up you'll run your pump dry and more then likely the tank will overflow. If you siphon breaks your pump will keep pumping and again your tank will overflow. If your sump area isn't big enough you take a chance of it overflowing. If the power goes out when your not around your sump area will overflow again if its not big enough to hold all the water. When the power comes back on more then likely your siphon would have broke and the pump will kick back on and the tank will overflow.

Now the only way around it is to add a ball valve on your return line and a thing that stops the water from siphoning back down that line. I've drawled a blank on what its called but its found at your local hardware store. This way if it pumps to fast/much you can control the water flow with the ball valve. Your better off with an drilled tank with a straight pvc line to overflow due to there is no siphon. Or you can do what I do and only run it when your home to be safe. I've had a few screw up on me and its not fun when all the water is everywhere.

This is the link to a ball valve so you know what they look like
3/4 in. PVC Sch. 40 S x S Ball Valve with EPDM Seats and O-Rings-107-634HC at The Home Depot

This is a check valve the thing I was drawling a blank on
Sump Pump Inline Check Valve-FP0026-10 at The Home Depot

Hope this helps :dance:

If you drill your tank, which I highly recommend, there are very few if any cons with a sump. Yes you can overflow your tank if the pump turns off, but only if you've got too much water in it. Let the water reach the regular level in your DT without a pump, then fill your sump up. Mark this line. This is the max water line for which you should keep your sump.

A ball valve on your pump will help you control the output of your pump. Get the right pump for your needs. I'd also recommend to not use a check valve. They build up with gunk overtime and will restrict the waterflow of your return lines. By keeping your water at the right volume (max water line) you won't need to hassle with a check valve.

Back
Top Bottom