sump pump recommendations please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paul87

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 20g or so sump and a 39 gallon DP. I have a pump pushpins 280 gph. Im pretty sure I need a more powerful one. And one that's not gonna break me. I was looking at the danner mag 5. I have about 3.5' of plumbing from the pump to the DT. So I have to count in that head. I don't want some piece of junk and I would like one that ran cool. I know ehiems are great but kinda outta my budget. Any recommendations?

Danner mags are fine pumps. Many of us have this brand. In addition to head loss, the diameter of the return line will also affect the actual gph. If the diameter is too small, then the actual gph will be lower than the manufacturer's stated gph.

Eheims would be my first choice if I had not already bought my Mag 18. Eheims are more quiet, which is nice. Maybe you won't care since there are other factors in a reef system that can cause noise.

I got 3/4" or 1" tubing for return. Not sure right off. Herbie method. My tank is pretty quite. I just want it to stay cool any pump more.

At .75" diameter return line and 3.5' height from pump to output, then you flow would be 312gph (assuming no elbows). 302gph with 2 elbows. IMO its enough flow going through your sump and you may wan to add a gate or ball valve.

If you want more options, then look on reef equipment seller website like marinedepot or bulkreefsupply. You can read the different reviews on each of them if you wish.

I was just wondering how much gph I am loosing with the head. And its seems like not enough flow for my chaeto in my sump. I could be wrong.

Sorry i forgot to mention the numbers above is based on mag5 pump.

Just google head loss calculator. There is one on reef central. It's super easy to use and gives you a good rough estimate.

I think I'm gonna get the danner mag 3. 350 gph. Mine now is actually only pushing 275 gpg. I think the 350 is good for a 39 gallon tank with 15-20 gallon sump (not positive on sump actual water volume). How much better are the ehiems and why?

Aqueon is another brand I looked at but no prefilter and just the way it looks constructed kinda drove me away.

Just ordered the danner mag 3, 350gph. Should work perfect I hope. Got it for right under $60 which is the cheapest i found new. Now just gotta wait for it.

I'm thinking of adding a new baffle to my sump when I put in the pump. To help from stuff getting to the pump. The red line would be the new baffle. Its not exact and excuse my touch screen drawing.LOL. good idea?

Just ordered the danner mag 3, 350gph. Should work perfect I hope. Got it for right under $60 which is the cheapest i found new. Now just gotta wait for it.

You are looking at about 200gph after headloss.

I think it will be closer to 300 but you could be right. Its actually right at 3'. No elbows just flex tube and a George Fischer check valve.

Thinking of added a baffle to my acrylic sump to help stuff from getting to the pump. Excuse the very poor scetch but the red line will be the one I add. Doesn't this seem to be ideal? Oh and is there a special acrylic glue?

Back
Top Bottom