Sump/pump size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maveric3030

Aquarium Advice Newbie
im setting up a 75 gallon cichlid tank. i have a rena xp3 canister filter on the way and have a 10-15 gallon sump with internal filter(not sure flow rate). what would be a minimum sump size and minimum flow rate i would need to get out of a pump. (Is there a gal/hour rule i should go by?). lastly, would it be necessary to get any powerheads.

Necessity for powerheads will depend on the flow rate you can get form your sump pump. You should try to max out the flow in your sump, so either the maximum the overflow can handle or the maximum the sump can handle (even if the overflow can handle more, there is an upper limit to flow through a sump).

Return the XP3 and get a Fluval FX5. That will handle everything. No n to worry about extra flow, powerheads, sump flooding, having enough filtration, etc. It is by far the best option to filter a 75 in my opinion.

i honestly considered the fx5, but im a full time student and only work part time. maybe if a cheap one comes up on craigslist.

You can get them for $250 or less on eBay shipped, that is definitely less than any other combination of filtration I have seen that can actually handle a 75 (not counting getting steals on craigslist).

Back
Top Bottom