Sump Pump Too Strong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the pipe im using is 1.5"

the hole in the tank is 2.5 inches where the bulkhead goes

the return from the pump is a 1" flexible hose

well it looks like everything is sized correctly,was the return pump section on your 30g larger than this 40g return section?

is there any way something has got into the pvc pipe and is blocking it? a snail got into mine!! it went up and over my overflow box through the syphon pipe up and over the other overflow box and into my drain pipe.

1.5" pipe can take 2100 gph on a gravity feed so pipe size is ok as your pump is rated at 1900 gph
if the return pipe is clear then I'm afraid I'm at a loss and can only suggest you put a tee piece in the 1" flexible pipe and plumb it to the sump inlet with a valve on it,this will allow you to adjust the water flow to the DT.
Unless you want to run your drain pipe into a bucket and calculate the flowrate coming from your DT just to be sure its not blocked.

im putting a ball valve on both the drain and return. ill be able to adjust it from there
Don't put one on the drain just the flow!
The drain should drain flow rate is only governed by the return pump flow,which is why i think it may have a blockage somewhere!

maybe just the 1.5" pvc pipe can handle 2100, but i believe a reef ready tank that has a 1.5" drain is rated for 1200. i think they take into consideration the I.D. of all of the fittings.

well what i wanna do is close the return valve.... fill up the tank to where i want it and then open it and start the pump

maybe just the 1.5" pvc pipe can handle 2100, but i believe a reef ready tank that has a 1.5" drain is rated for 1200. i think they take into consideration the I.D. of all of the fittings.

yeah thats why I asked what size tank connector he was using,as its a 2.5" hole it must be 1.5" ID not OD.
I think it still has something to do with the drain pipework being restricted somewhere!!!

Is there any photo's of the setup?

This tank is not setup yet so plans have taken a turn..... This tank is sold and I have a new 180 gallon coming in

ahh..nice tank for a reef. i just bought one off a local reefer also. not sure what i'm going to use it for, but the price was right. maybe a FOWLR, since i so love some of the non-reef safe wrasses and puffers. i plan on a much larger reef, if i can afford it.

yeah i think im gonna go fowlr right now too.....

getting this tank made.... 400 bucks with built in overflows.

and since my dad is a cabinet maker, he'll be making the custom stand

Back
Top Bottom