Sump: PVC and glass questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
My sump is done. I asked my hardware store to cut 3/16" thick glass for the baffles. I found out today, after silicone is dried, that it is actually 1/8" thck. The baffles are 18" wide by 13" tall. They will be holding back about 12 gallons of water each (it's a 50gallon tank but will hold 30 gallons total). Should the 1/8" glass be okay? I'm assuming so.

ALSO - now that the sump is finished I have to tackle the actual plumbing. I'm really no good at this so I have some noob plumbing questions.

1. I'm probably going to be pushing about 700gph down to the sump (have the overflow already). The overflow comes with a flex tube but, I will need to attach pvc piping (1") to make the run through a wall to my sump. Is 1" pvc okay for this gph?

2. For unthreaded PVC like elbows, do I glue these together? I bought teflon tape, but I'm assuming that's only good for threads.

3. What do I use to return water to the main? PVC? Flex PVC? Tubing? I will be returning with a MAG 9.5. The return line will be split to feed the refugium. There should be about 700-800gph going back to the tank. Should I just mimic the overflow pvc? 1" pvc back to the tank?

Finally, are there any links with help in plumbing to and from sumps? I've seen a lot of diy sump sites but none really get into plumbing specifics.

Thanks.

- Skins

I think your 1/8" glass will be ok-

Your overflow needs to flow as much water as your pump pumps.
I'm not too sure about 1" keeping up with a mag 9.5.

- PVC elbows need to be primered then glued with pvc glue available as a pair at any hardware- home improvement store.

- I used 2" pvc for my 9.5 mag return. I would say if you don't have many bends do solid pvc just make sure to use a threaded connection somewhere so you can remove your pump for maintenance.

I just finished mine today. Check out my "look what I did thread". I used 1 1/4" pvc for the supply (I tried 3/4" first and had backflow problems) and 3/4" flexible on the return. You will need to get pvc primer and cement to put together the non threaded pieces (called solvent ends) teflon tape is usless on these pieces. I was recommended flex line on my return off of my mag7 so I didnt get any shake. I would say hardplumb wherever you can... similar to www.melevsreef.com. Oh and I'm guessing your 1/8" glass should be sufficient

As far as the pump - I've got about 4 1/2' head to return. The MAG is rated to 800gph with that much pumping height. I plan to split the return line, sending about 100gph to my 12 gallon fuge, leaving about 600-700gph making the 4 1/2' trip back to the tank. Obviously I'm using ball valves to get the flow right. The overflow says it is rated "up to 700gph" so I'll have to adjust the plumbing accordingly.

So, 600-700 gph back to the tank - go with 2" pvc to the tank, and maybe down to 3/4" or 1" for the 100gph to the fuge?

davebailey46, you're using 3/4" flex pvc to return your mag7? Wanted to make sure I'm reading this correctly. How much gph are you pushing?

thanks.

- Skins

I'm not sure of my gph on the return b/c I have to keep the ball valve at 80% in order to not pump the sump dry (and of course that is with a 1 1/4" supply line) ...and yes I am using flexible 3/4" (pvc or vinyl) on my return keeping in mind that the outlet on the mag itself is only 1/2" dia.

Wanted to follow-up as I'm going to be jumping in and plumbing this weekend...

The pvc coming out of the bottom of my overflow looks like 1 1/4" pvc. Taking down 700ish gph, should a 1-1/4" flex pvc be okay?

Then, pumping back? The Mag 9.5 will be pumped up about 18" and then split. Using ball valves - one pipe will pump about 100gph into my 12 gallon fuge, the rest will be sent about 3' back up to the tank. Should I be using 1-1/4" flex pvc the whole route? Maybe 1" or 3/4" to the fuge? Jabber previously mentioned maybe going bigger than 1" pvc to return the Mag 9.5 so I wanted to make sure.

I know I'm repeating a lot of stuff in this post - just wanting to make sure I have everything right. Probably buying everything this weekend.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom