sump setup for 125 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayinked

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have an Oceanic 125 gal salt water tank. Fish and live rock for now. My protein skimmer is on the side of the tank and Takes up to much room in the tank and looks bad hanging off the side . I wont to turn my old quarantine tank into a wet/dry filter with room for the protein skimmer and bio balls. . here are some pics. The tank just fits in the cabinet, I know i am going to need a over flow box and a return pump. My guestion is how many bio balls should i use and how to divide the sump tank to work right. The back of the tank is divded already. could this be use for wet/ dry? I dont know how many gals tank is I'll measure later tonight. Any input or pics of your setup would really help out.

thanks JAY

Attachments

• sump set up 010.jpg
    sump set up 010.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 89
  • sump set up 008.jpg
    sump set up 008.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 121
  • sump set up 001.jpg
    sump set up 001.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 81
  • sump set up 006.jpg
    sump set up 006.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 104
I would skip the bio balls, especially if there is ever a chance you want to get coral. When I first started I thought to myself that I did not want to get into coral, however now it is one of the best parts of the hobby for me.
It is hard for me to see in the pictures, but instead of "wet/dry" try to make it so there is live rock rubble instead of bio balls, however, the lr rubble needs to be completely submerged.
One other thing... you cannot use your sump that is connected to your main tank to "cure" live rock. You can only put already cured live rock in there or base rock that for sure has not dead organisms on it.

You mention the sump was used as a qt tank at one point so what chemicals, if any, did you medicate with? The sump looks to be an all-in-one tank. I take it there are slots or holes allowing water to fill the back/sectioned off area? Is your skimmer an hob? Will the pump fit comfortably in the largest sectioned-off area in the sump?

If so you can have the return fill the back chamber that could lead to your skimmer and use the entire front as a refugium. Otherwise, since your sump is on the right (looking from front) locate the overflow box on that side of the tank, the overflow feed water to a sectioned area where your skimmer would reside (right side), use baffles to provide a water mark for your skimmer and as a bubble trap, the last baffle should be large enough to accommodate a 4" sand layer, and then baffles at the other end where your return pump is.

Thanks for the input. I think I am going to stay with just fish for now. I would have to get rid off all my fish if I wonted coral. As far as chemicals, The tank has'nt been used for a while and has been clean several times. Would it be better not to use this tank since it was an old quarntine tank? The tank is an all in one, but my protein skimmer will not fit in back section it is to big. Ill take some more pics in the morning, have dividers just dont know were they should go? Protein skimmer is a Coral Life 220

Back
Top Bottom