Sump time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have never done a sump before I have a 45G acrylic tank with a sealed top except a few holes but nothing big enough for a skimmer and filter and all that SOOOO is a sump a good idea? If so how big and what all do I need? Thanks.

A sump is always a good idea. It will add water volume to your system and give you a place to hide unslightly equipment like a skimmer and heaters. It also provides a nice place to run chemical filtration. Size will depend on the space you have under the tank and personal preference.

Im thinkin a 10 gallon maybe or possibly a 5? I never thought of having the heater in the sump thats awesome. So how do they even work haha. I really need help with this one guys.

10g will work nice. You need a way to get water from your tank down into the sump. 2 ways to do that...drill the back of the tank or use a hang on back overflow. Not sure if you can even use an overflow if your tank doesn't have anyplace to hang it.
Then you need a pump in the sump to move the water back up into the tank. You can plumb it with pvc or clear tubing or a combo of both.

here is a pic of the top...

6o1849f.jpg

Is that a slot in the back middle of the top? And if so, how wide is it and how wide is the area from the back of the opening to the back of the tank?
You may be able to get a hang on back u tube overflow in there.

I have been debating adding a sump/refugium to my 46 gallon bow for months. I have very little space under my cabinet like 11"width X 20" debth and 15" high. I was debating the CPR aquafuge refugium but It just doesn't hold much water. Then I was debating the ProClear aquatics wet/dry sump but then there is not really much space or lighting setup to grow macro algae. I think I will end up building my own refugium under the tank out of a 10 gallon tank eventually. I read somewhere that people often get confused of the purpose of a refugium that it should really be a display not a reverse photo synthesis device. sump or refugium or both hell I don't know been contemplating for some time now.

Ya I have no idea what consists of a refugium honestly lol. All I know is I dont want anything showing in my tank except the life and powerheads. :) Yes that is a slot in the back its 12 1/2" long, 1 5/8" wide, and 3/4" from the back of the tank it had a power 40 filter on it. I thin it would work for the overflow but then again i have never seen one up close...

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion. As stated above you`ll need a way for the water to get down and a pump to pump it back up. I believe that sealed top is really going to be a pain. PH problems and getting into the tank if you have to.

The more I read about sumps and HOB overflows the more nervous I am about flooding... Also the return pump is always on??? Or no? Im confused. But I just found this and think its the way im going to go depending on what you guys think... are these a good choice? They look better than the U pipes or whatever you call them.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~CR1511.html

A properly constructed overflow and sump will not flood. The sump needs to have enough room so that in a power outage it will not flood before the siphon breaks. Whenthe siphon breaks it will stop the water flow from the tank to the sump. The return pump needs to be sized so that it does not pump water back to the tank faster that the overflow drains it. The overflow will have a gph rating and the pump output should match that.

Check out Sumps Explained, Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I and Melev's Reef - Sumps & Fuge's for more detailed explanations.

Many people here have the CPR overflow and love them. I'm not sure it will work on your tank though. You may need to go DIY or custom.

Man that sucks I really want the CPR I didnt see any measurements though...

I have no first hand experience with the CPR overflow, but I do know they recommend hooking up an aqua lifter pump to it to keep air bubbles from accumulating and stopping the siphon.
I've always used the u-tube type overflows on my tank and it never had a problem with it. http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=22071

When I get home, I can measure the distance on the inside of the U and you can get an idea if it will fit on your top. A properly setup overflow and sump will never flood. You must have enough room in your sump so that when the power goes out, or you shut down the pump, the water draining out of the tank stops at a certain point. I have mine setup so the return lines from the pump are only about 1 1/2" below the surface, which is about 1/2" lower than the point where the overflow stops draining. The overflow doesn't loose siphon, it's just the water is too low for it to drain thru it. When I shut down my pump, the water will drain into the sump thru the return line until the water level drops and it looses the siphon. If your return line is too deep, water will drain till it reaches it and can flood your sump.
Here's a pic of my overflow and return line. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=101135

Looks good. I am about to build my sump as we speak :) I asked the owner of the LFS about the CPR overflow and he said he has used them and never had a problem in his opinion they are the best HOB overflows. He also told me with a sump i dont need to run a mechanical filter though it doesn't hurt is that true?

Like I said, I never used the CPR, but have used the u-tube type since I set my tank up. Just as long as you know about the lift pump needed to go along with the CPR.
You don't need any mechanical filter, but you can use a sponge on the intake of your overflow or a filter sock on the line coming into the sump. I don't use either, but if you do make sure you clean them very often.

Well that cuts down the cost of this project a little :) No buying a filter :) Yes I understand I have to use the vacum pump with the CPR the owner of the LFS explained that to me also. Is it a good idea to use LR rubble and like bioballs or plastic scrubbies? Or just the fake stuff and no LR?

Back
Top Bottom