Sunpod HQI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sunpods are great lights from what i hear, and you get that added bonus with the Moonlights on it. If i had more money, and a tank that was 24" i probably would have gone with that fixture.

They are supposed to be great fixtures, but Current USA discontinued their whole HQI line, including that fixture, so if you ever had any problems with it, you would have a hard time getting the right parts for it. Talk to Zer0 about his light from fishneedit.com, it's 150w HQI and he seems to be happy with it.

I know a lot of people use them on their biocubes. How much are replacement bulbs?

lol +1 Bige. Prolly trying to get rid of all his current USA stock. I have only heard good things about sunpods, but seeing they are discontinued, I would steer clear. Lots of places make nice pendants, or there are the JBJ K-2 Viper series as an alternative as well.
I would urge you to do a lot of research. I myself have been looking a TON into LED's lately and I haven't found really any downsides. They are about half the wattage of a hqi, have a lifespan of like 15 years, and cheaper too on a DIY solution. If you spring a bit more for a dimming driver, you can customize the output of them to adjust your white/blue balance at any time. I have read of a few people who are going so far as to get Arduino boards and simulate the same settings as the large commercial fixtures. Buut i'm slightly biased, I would love to see our LED community grow to really try and advance the tech as much as possible.

I also hear your concerns with dimming. But all bulbs dim. HQI, CF do it sooner and need to be replaced sooner. Look at replacement prices. LED are very cheap to replace. If after five years they dim then I would have probably replaced a HQI 10 times at 100 bucks. Thats 1000 bucks.

Off subject: My local 7/11 owner saw my tank and switched his store to LEDs. It looks crazy bright. Pretty cool though. Said electric bill went down 40 bucks first month.

True that all bulbs dim, but if you dim LED's, say the blue set, you can make 10K, 12K or 14K and if you dim the whites you can make 20K and really any combination in between. Not all bulbs can do that :) Its the most appealing feature to me, instead of buying several T5 bulbs and switching them out till i find just the right combo that I want. It gets costly if you are picky about light like I am.

I know. Mandarinlover was concerned about the loss of intensity. Dimming is a benefit of leds. With the right controller, you could have clouds pass over tank. Sorry I miss spoke.

If you want a good pendant, and you're not worried about the LED's i would just order from here:

fishneedit.com

They have great lights there, and if you were looking for Actinic supplementation to go along with the MH pendant, you could, since FNI make their T5 and MH lights compatible with each other. Meaning you could connect the two of them, and they would work together. When i upgrade to my 40G or 50G breeder, i'll be using their 36" T5 strip, with two 150w MH's.

Btw, the quality of the pendants is great. They run cool, the ballast runs cool, it comes with a hanging kit, or legs if you want to mount it. Great pendant for a great price.

wow, i wish i would have came across this website wayyy before i ordered my lighting sytem(s). could have easily bought what i needed for ALOT less than my LFS.

i'll be kicking myself for awhile

i know nothing about MH lights, but does that price $169.99 include everything i need ?? just plug and play or do i need to buy the ballast also ??

Yes. It comes with the Pendant, the ballast, the bulb, a hanging kit, the legs if you want to mount it and all the cables. It come with everything. As soon as you receive it in the mail, you can unpack and plug it in and viola! You have a MH lighting solution.

Yes. It comes with the Pendant, the ballast, the bulb, a hanging kit, the legs if you want to mount it and all the cables. It come with everything. As soon as you receive it in the mail, you can unpack and plug it in and viola! You have a MH lighting solution.

I don't believe you. Send me yours to prove it.

Back
Top Bottom