Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-01-2021, 11:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Sunsun 703B heeellllpp!

Found this stupid thing at a price I couldnít pass up. I can NOT get the **** thing to pump. ALL hoses are full of water. Motor running. Nothing. Absolutely nothing. Just sits there. YouTube/google= no help whatsoever.
Last resort before the countdown to launch. Iíll notify you when to look out your windows and in what direction to watch it go up in a blaze of unglorified smoke

Old 03-01-2021, 11:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do you mean that your canister filter just doesn't work? Have you checked if it has something that is obstructing both the outlet and the inlet of the filter? Does the engine have good power yet? Frankly, I have always preferred HOB filters, which are easier to maintain.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:49 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know this is a different filter, but the primer not working properly is a common issue with fluval cannisters and this is a solution for those which might work on yours.

https://youtu.be/1rOcsYu-nvI

Otherwise old fashioned suction on the intake pipe, ive resorted to that as well.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make sure the impeller is installed correctly, the cover plate is installed correctly over the impeller, and that it's turning properly on its little ceramic shaft
Old 03-02-2021, 02:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have over 10 sunsun canisters running right now. I love them.
Old 03-02-2021, 06:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

This is my first go at a canister. Always been a HOB guy so I understand. Looking for a quieter, neater option.
Yes, I’ve tried all you mentioned and more.. I work with my hands and use common sense but this thing has me baffled.
Thx
Old 03-02-2021, 07:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

MIght as well check the stator to see if it works. Take off the head unit, turn it upside down. Remove the impeller. Plug the unit back in. Take a screwdriver and put it in the hole and move it all around. It should pull to all sides everywhere. Check for a weak spot.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had one rattling and not pumping good, couldn't figure it out. Then after multiple times looking at it I realized the ceramic shaft on the impeller was broken. Got a new piece, works great now. With no water flow, I gotta think it's something with the impeller or magnetic drive like FW said

Tags
eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com