Supporting tank issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 75g corner tank that sits on one of those double shelved black tube stands. Would like to put another tank on the bottom shelf but because of it's triangular shape I knew I would have to put plywood to supply an evenly supported base. My question(s) are how much of an issue is it going to be if the corners overhang the plywood by 1.5"(30g fits perfectly but 35 is just that much larger) &.how thick does the plywood HAVE to be (currently its 5/8 but if I can get away with narrower have a tiny bit more play on top for light etc)
20180411_121935.jpg

Have a 75g corner tank that sits on one of those double shelved black tube stands. Would like to put another tank on the bottom shelf but because of it's triangular shape I knew I would have to put plywood to supply an evenly supported base. My question(s) are how much of an issue is it going to be if the corners overhang the plywood by 1.5"(30g fits perfectly but 35 is just that much larger) &.how thick does the plywood HAVE to be (currently its 5/8 but if I can get away with narrower have a tiny bit more play on top for light etc)
View attachment 308375
My thought is that if the difference between 5/8 ths plywood and thinner plywood is going to make a difference in lighting options and play at the top of the tank, how much room at the top of the tank do you have? I would hate to see you set yourself up for maintenance difficulties. Have you considered a 30 gal long tank. It would be shorter in height although I don't know the width right off hand. Even with a 30 g tank, water alone would be 250 lbs. But you'll probably have 15 to 20 lbs of gravel or sand making it a little heavier. I would stick with the 5/8 ths plywood. A gallon of water is 8.34 lbs. So you can calculate the weight as being substantial. Good luck with whatever you decide. Even keep a 30 gal. Long tank in mind as a possibility while you're creating. A 1/2 inch corner hanging over won't be a problem as long as the bottom is level and well supported.

Back
Top Bottom