Sure this has been answered...many times

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barrydalmi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
New Guy Card.....

I have a kit in a box 30 gal set-up. The hang on back filter that came with it is an Aquatech...seems fine, only a few deaths over the years but I feel like I am ready to get just a little cleaner/clearer environment. I also want to increase my fish density a little.

Any thoughts from more experienced folks on the next grade up (or plus one) for a hang on power filter?

Whisper vs. Aquaclear for example?

Also how about going up one size...40 gal filter for 30 gal tank?
Thanks

I'd recommend the AquaClear 50 hands down. If you are more towards the overstocked side then I might go with the AquaClear 70. They have large media baskets (which is a plus) and run very quiet. I personally run mine with polyfiber and a bag full of those bioballs or whatever they call them.

AquaClears rule. Definitely step up to the AC50 or the AC70. A good rule of thumb is to take the manufacturer's rating and cut it in half.

My tanks and filters:

40B - AC110
29g - AC70
20L - AC50 with AC70 impeller
20H - AC30 with AC50 impeller

If you're going to stick with a HOB then I agree the aquaclears are probably the way to go. If you're serious about stepping it up, though, as said above look into canister filters. Much better IME for filtering a tank.

I use an aquaclear 110 and think its great. What ever you do upgrade to I'd leave the old filter on so the new one can get broke in or even better leave them both on

Yet another vote for AquaClear. I'd go with the AC70. I have an AC50 on one of my 10g's and an AC20 on the other. The one with the 50 stays super clear

Back
Top Bottom