Sweet LED deal or scam?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something that advertises, at minimum, 1w LED's, realistically 2-3w LED's. You need a fixture, not a strip like that. There are a few strips that can sustain coral, but you'll pay a LOT of money for them. Depending on your tank size, something like this is what you want to look in to (or multiples if you're talking 4' or more). That's probably the cheapest LED fixture for any decent sized tank aside from a DIY unit, though it comes with a 2 year warranty and it's dimmable.

lightupthedarkness30 said:
What about this dual t5HO? I have a really tight budget so the cheapest option is best.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=160747694143&index=21&nav=SEARCH&nid=01371113971
I had a 608w Metal halide fixture before and it had 2 250w halide bulbs which blew out. But it also had 2 54w t5 bulbs like that fixture which is what I used to grow not maintain soft corals, mushrooms, and frogspawn coral. But I'd recommend the 4 bulb model which is $100 and can grow them faster with better color and grow a variety of more coral.

Just remember, T5HO bulbs have to be replaced at least once a year, more frequently on a lot of the cheaper bulbs. After you replace them a couple times, the LED's seem to be the most money friendly, since they last for a very long time. I would also recommend a 4 bulb (minimum) fixture, which is going to be $100-200 depending on the fixture you get. Every year, that's about $100 in bulbs. After 2 years, you've paid for the LED fixtures, which put out considerably more light. Just a thought.

+1... I agree... I had a 8 bulb for my 90g. The unit alone was over 1000. I coulda bought 3 led fixtures for les then 500...

Found this buy on eBay, description says 14,000k and I can get 6ft for $25. Would this be able to grow corals or anemones? Here's the link:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=270993731485&index=17&nav=SEARCH&nid=25885901568

I have 3 12" sections pushed up in between the glass and plastic rim of my 75 gal. I bought these almost a year ago for my car lol. I never used them and now use them as a early morning light before my other lights kick on to reduce stress of all lights coming on at the same time. They are VERY dim. I went with red leds in my car interior and they are brighter than these. But perfect sunrise lights. I will try and get a pic up when I get home tonight.

Back
Top Bottom