T5 lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liquid_blue

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was thinking about going with t5 lighting with my fowlr setup. I was wondering if you need a T5 fixture or will the bulbs work in a regular flourescent fixture?

No you need a seperate fixture because the T5 bulbs are much smaller than the T8 and T12 bulbs.

That's what I was thinking, but the guy at one of the local fish stores said the would fit in any standard fixture and I thought it sounded kinda um... not right.

Just take it to him later and say Alright Tim the tool man lets see you DO IT!! ;)

The bulbs might fit in the fixture, but T5 HO bulbs won't fire up on a standard, normal output ballast.

Like most bulbs you have to match the bulb and ballast. 54w bulbs need a ballast designed to fire 54w bulbs.

There are T5 retro kits our there for a great price. Check with Hellolights.com

If you are looking to compare products, I don't know a site but I do know that TEK is top of the line...I have a TEK 2x54w Retro kit on my system.

OK one more and I'll let it go. Anyone had any experience with coralife products? Their 30" t5 is half the cost of every other I have looked at, I have looked for some review sites. And product descriptions aren't very revealing. So I guess my question is, are their lighting systems any good? And will they take any T5 bulb?

T5 bulbs are pretty standard so I would guess that a T5 fixture will take any T5 bulb as long as you match the bulb to the ballast.

Back
Top Bottom