T5 lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I broke down and bought the Nova Extreme Pro for 48" tank, with 6 lights that come with it. It specifically states it is not meant for open top tanks. Should I be worried about this?

If you have an open top tank...

I think that means the light fixture itself has no splash guard, so splashing fish can get water into the ballast and/or reflector. That could be a fairly serious problem. Wet reflectors just means degraded performance over time due to mineral deposits, but wet electronics could potentially cause shorts and fire. You can make your own splash guard, or mount the light higher up above the tank, or stock only neon tetras or something that doesn't splash...

Ok, I broke down and bought the Nova Extreme Pro for 48" tank, with 6 lights that come with it. It specifically states it is not meant for open top tanks. Should I be worried about this?

Does that system have MH bulbs on it?

No it does not have Halides on it. It has 3 54watt 10,000k; and 3 460nm 54watt actinic lights.

I have read in different sites saying it has acrylic guards and others saying it doesn't so I Dunno.

Also the tank is for SW.

Best option is to look under it. If theirs a piece of plastic infront of the lights, Your fine. If not you could make one.

As long as you keep the fixture 5" or more above the water's surface you should be fine.

I am using the stock mounting legs is has. I believe it would be 2-3" above the top. possibly 4" above water, not sure. Waiting for it to get here.

Back
Top Bottom